GUN Shot my first IPSC match yesterday *long warning*

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Milky, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Well I finally got around to shooting my first IPSC match this weekend. It is hotter than anything here in Mississippi so they only set up 4 stages to try to get us through before 12 (which didn't happen). Anyway, here's a play by play.

Showed up about 7:30 to help setup as well as meet some of the people. We set up the stages, had a safety meeting, got split up into squads and away we went at about 9:00. In my squad there were 5 other people including a 9 year old boy and 12 year old girl and a Master level shooter who ran the safety meeting and loaned me gear for the match. Only 33 people showed up so we only had 4 squads.

I let everyone know when I got there that I was new and it was my first match and they couldn't have been nicer. I stayed out of the way as much as possible during setup and just ending up hammering stakes into the ground to hold the targets.

I shot last on the first stage and was pretty terrified. It was a target partially obscured by two no shoots from about 12 yards or so and we started facing uprange with our hands above our shoulders. Once that timer beeped I felt like I had lost all muscle control and was just shooting blindly at the target. I ended up with a 7.85% for that stage. I didn't really expect to do well since I have only have my Glock 19 for about 6 months and maybe have shot it 3 or 4 times.

Once that first one was over and with some guidance from the older shooters I was able to settle down a lot. The last stage I shot I scored a 38.85% :bowdown: and finished with an overall 28.63% for the match. Afterwards I stuck around to help tear down and just bullshit with the guys and it seemed to be much appreciated. Most everybody there was really nice - there were a few hardcore guys that didn't seem too friendly but I assume they just didn't want some damn noob hanging out with them. I had a really great time and can't wait for the next match in August, but I don't know how I can ever just go to a range and stand still and shoot paper now.

Some observations:
    I need to work on my reloads, they really killed me.
    Know where the scoring zones are on the target - I got quite a few Charlies on the first couple stages because I was just aiming at the middle and not the upper third area where the Alpha zone was.

Final thoughts - Holy shit I wish I had done this months ago. If you are scared you are going to suck, well, you probably are but it's still an awesome time and as long as you are safe noone cares.

Sorry for the novel here are the cliffs:
    Shot my first match, did ok, had a great time, everyone should try it

*edit*
    I finished 13 of 19 in Production and I did beat the 12 year old girl

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

LOL, well done!

Just a tad harder than me and Yar's video make them look huh? lol

Get a few matches in and we can start talking strategy. Work on being safe and accurate.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Good job. You did better than most the first time out.

4. Milky

Thanks, I was worried on the first stage with the two no shoots and asked the Master level shooter in my squad what the lowest score I could make was, since I didn't I want to start with negative points and he told me it was a 0.

After the match, he came up to me and said his first match had 4 stages and he shot a 0, 0, 0, and another 0.

I had a great time but I obviously need my own gear to at least practice reloads with. I was reading through some of the other USPSA threads and saw that AB13 recommended the Uncle Mike's paddle holster and Blade-Tech mag pouches. Some of the guys on Sunday recommended Kytac but I don't really want to spend that much on gear. Is there a good place to buy these from or other gear that you recommend? I had 6 mags on my belt this match and even though I never took more than 3 from the pouches, I liked knowing they were there. So I was thinking about picking up 3 double mag pouches and a holster.

5. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

awesome.

I remember my first match I shot, when that buzzer rang all my range time went out the window and I just shot, first time is always the worst, second time is a lot more fun since you wont be as tense and you will be much more relaxed.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

3 dual mag pouches will do ya plenty fine. Rather than give you "my" preferences, I'll learn you a few principals to look for and allow you to make your own judgment.

What I ask of my mag pouches...

- that it retains my mag in a fashion that will allow quick retrieval with minimal belt creep.

- adjustable tension.

that's it. The injected molded blade Tech pouches at 15-20 each w/ the tech lok are more than sufficient. I like the tech lok as you don't have to thread it through your belt, and also allows you to cant and adjust.

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

As for holsters, same thing. I like the tech loks as well, but through practice, I've learned I get a better "grab" with the cant that's allowed with my UC holster. Again, more preference.

I can do .83-.85 draws from my Uncle Mikes hitting a steel plate at 10 yards. Faster at a bigger target. So don't believe a relatively inexpensive holster can hold you back.

As for places to shop, Natchez or Cheaper than Dirt will have good deals on holsters.

As for everything else, my favorite places to shop for competition gear online are:

www.cpwsa.com

www.shootersconnection.com

www.speedshooter.com

www.rushusa.com

www.dawsonprecision.com

www.brazoscustom.com

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

When you are ready to do some heavy investing in gear, hollar at me.

I've never liked the "elitest" advise and point you to the most expensive gear and guns to make myself feel better. Competitive shooting can be done on a budget if your smart. The trick is to know when to skimp, and when not to skimp.

9. Milky

Wow, AB, thanks. I think the gear I was borrowing was Blade-Tech holster and mag pouches and it seemed to be fine. I feel if I had my own and could get a feel for the movement and location of everything instead of having to look everytime I grabbed a mag it would be a big help. But I hear what you are saying about the arrow and the indian, thanks.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I like the bladetech tech loc too. I would do a google search for your model gun + bladetech. You can find it cheap sometimes from places like impact guns. Good price is about $20.

With kydex holsters I would recommend a belt slide over a paddle. I don't like the paddles as they shift too much. All the kydex holsters are pretty good except the fobus. The fobus is complete garbage. Do not buy fobus. First it is not kydex it is nylon. Second there is no tension adjustment and it holds the gun way to tight. You almost pull your pants off when you draw. Sure some people say you can dremel the holster to adjust the tension, but why buy garbage?

I may come off as a elitist, but I know what I'm talking about. There is a difference between those people who talk like a elitist but are idiots, and those that come off as elitist because they actually know what they are talking about and are not afraid to tell it like it is.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

fobus=wedgie waiting to happen

I remember being told I needed to start off with a Guga Ribas holster, and go open class to learn how to shoot. There are also people that'll tell you anything less than a custom gun from cheely, benny hill, JPL or the likes is the only way to go. Who the hell can drop $5k just to "start" shooting.

I've always liked to say, shoot what you have, there are places to spend money, and places that aren't necessary especially when you just start off and have a bunch of stuff you need to buy to get started, like bullets and range time.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

AB put it in the correct context.

If your "Filipino" anything less than a custom gun from cheely, benny hill, JPL or the likes is the only way to go.

Is this not why you went open?

13. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

Good stuff!

I still haven't shot my first IPSC match, but I did beat out everyone in my Black badge course (hell, even the instructors) so I think I'll do alright in Production.

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's not a given, trust me, the USPSA has humbled many of LEO's and Military. Here are a few posts from Benos.

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

do as I say, not as I do. lol I have more money than time or sense sometimes. :rofl:

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Yeah around here there are lots of new Flips. Show up with a $4000 latest and greatest Jojo/JV Dynamics modified gun with all the bells and whistles for their 2nd match. It's just what your expected to do. You got the first match done with, to be a real Flip get yourself a decent blaster.

17. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Where in MS is this?

18. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

I'm fully cognizant of that. Hence the use of the term "alright"... ;)

I generally excel at everything I put my mind to, so I wouldn't be surprised that save for an adaptation period, I'll give a lot of folks a run for their money. I suppose we'll see whether or not this will be the case in the near future.

19. Milky

It's just south of Jackson on I55. www.teammagnolia.com is the website. It's a pretty good drive from where you are.

20. Y2kAccord

yeah it is :hs:

21. Milky

I think there is an IDPA match up around you or I am sure there is something around Memphis. My in-laws live in Jackson, so its not a bad drive for me.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

Ain't nothing to it but to do it. Get er done! :bigthumb:

23. Y2kAccord

There are plenty of shooting matches around memphis, they just happen to happen on street corners :mamoru:

24. Milky

Lol, got this in an email today.

A University of Memphis Tigers scout flies to Baghdad to watch a young
    Iraqi play basketball in a new American sponsored league and is very
    impressed with a young Iraqi player. He arranges for him to come over to
    the US and play basketball on scholarship.

A few months later the Tigers are down 10 points to the Louisville
    Cardinals with only 5 minutes left. Calipari gives the young Iraqi the nod
    and he goes in. The kid is a sensation, scoring 5 three point goals in 5
    minutes and winning the game for the home team Tigers!

The fans, players and coaches are all delighted. Even ESPN loves this new
    star!

When the player comes off the court he phones his Mom to tell her about his
    first day of NCAA basketball.

"Hello Mom, guess what?" he says in an Iraqi accent. "I played for 5
    minutes today, we were 10 points down, but I scored 5 three pointers and we
    won. Everybody loves me, the fans, the media, they all love me."

"Wonderful," says his Mom, "now let me tell you about my day. Your father
    got shot in the street and robbed, your sister and I were ambushed, raped
    and beaten and your brother has joined a gang of looters, and all while you
    were having such great time."

The young Iraqi is very upset. "Mom, I'm so sorry."