GUN Shot my 1911 last night

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Jammed like crazy!

Not sure if its too new or what the story was. It wouldnt insert the bullet all the way into the chamber. It had to be hit on the back to feed.

So im debating between letting the local shop fix it ( i bought it used and they guarantee it for a year) or calling springfield. The local shop may do a throat job but im not sure about springfield doing work since im the 2nd owner

2. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

3. sneakyjesus

sneakyjesus New Member

Might as well call SA. If they can do it, that's probably better, because the gun shop might void the SA factory warranty (if there is one still). If SA is a no-go, just get the gun shop to do it I guess. I know its frustrating to have a malf. gun.

good luck

What ammo were you using? Factory Mag? How many rounds did you fire and how many do you estimate have been fired through it?

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

You should send it back to springfield and while it's there get them to fix the rear of the slide like you were asking about a few days ago.

5. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

Have you replaced the recoil spring? Since you dont know exactly how many rounds have been through it, I would. It is only a few bucks and even if it doesn't help you have a spare for when you do need it.

When my kimber started jamming I replaced the recoil spring and polished the feed ramp and now it feeds perfectly.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

that's exactly why I don't care to buy guns used from someone I don't know. to many, what if's.

What kind of ammo? Even more importantly, what kind of mags are you using?

Magazine issues are one of the top jamming issues with 1911's, it's a pity when I see guys spend $1200 on their 1911, then use $10 gun show "GI specials".

If you have buddies with 1911's, ask to sample a few of their various brands. And sample various ammo as well.

I know, sounds like a pain? but it's all in learning your pistol. Modern combat pistols like Glocks have raised the bar in terms of reliability and have spoiled many new gun owners.

But I guarantee you, no firearm performs as well as a well tuned 1911 once the owner has conquered any issues it may have, if they have them. I personally think it's worth the troubles.

They are the firearms equivalent to the modern day "high maintenance girlfriend".

7. kds000

kds000 New Member

springfield's lifetime warranty doesnt care if you're the original owner or not. i'm having the same issue as you though. i'm having jamming issues with ball ammo..wwb and blazer brass with different mags (47d and the stock mags). I ordered a different recoil spring so i hope that fixes it.

8. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Thats basically my story.
    I sent the gun into springfield today. Lets see what happens.

9. kds000

kds000 New Member

yea..my gun used to feed fine..i dont know what the problem is. it usually happens on the last round of my wilson mags though. Ran a couple of mags of HSTs through it and it fed fine..odd.

i take it you got in touch with tracy? what was her response to your problem?

10. chakup

chakup Guest

SA is awesome and will take care of it.

I love my TRP:
    [​IMG]

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

It could be a sharp edge on the throat, a rough ramp, bad mag, extractor is too tight or a weak recoil spring.
    All of those will cause the issue you're having.

12. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Na I tried.. I emailed her and never got a reply.