GUN Shot a Sig 226 Last Night...A Few Qs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GuiltySparc, Jan 5, 2007.

1. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

Hey fellas, i rented a Sig 226 (in 9mm) from a local range and shot up a box of ammo. I loved the way it felt in my hand however i wasn't very accurate with it. My dad brought the 1911 (Colt WW1 Remake) i bought him for xmas and my groups with that pistol were a lot tighter. I've shot it before so i think it may have just been unfamiliarity with the Sig because my groups got a little tighter towards the end of the box of ammo.

Anywho, i have a few Qs about the Sig. This was the first Sig i've shot and i was curious what the switch just ahead of the grip was for. Also, i couldn't find the saftey switch which lead me to believe there wasn't one, is that true? And lastly, there was some dead space in the trigger, is that by design or because it was a beat up rental?

I'm looking to pick up my first handgun (i say first because it will be the first i've owned, i grew up with guns). What other guns should i look at renting knowing that i liked the feel of the Sig but was more accurate with the 1911? I was thinking maybe the Sig 220 since its also .45, but i want to ultimatly get a .40 or 9mm.

Other handguns i've shot have been a couple 1911s, .44 revolver, 9mm berretta knock-off, and a .22 revolver (technically my "first" gun that my dad bought for me when i was 10).

Anyway, enough rambling...thanks for the help. =)

2. luvitlo94

luvitlo94 Make a choice and don't look back.

The slack in the trigger is pretty normal.

The lever in front of the grip is the decock lever, so you can put it into double action. And yes, there is no safety.

3. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

being a former sig 226 owner i can say the trigger slack is typical for them

4. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

ah ha, thanks for the answers. Any advice on what i should rent next? I was thinking the HK USP and/or a glock might be good to try.

5. Powderburn

Powderburn New Member

i shoot my glocks better than my girlfriends fathers HK USP....but thats just me and im sure other people will be different.....FWIW he cant shoot his USP either lol.....he gets frustrated at the range when his shots are either wayy low or not even close to where he was aiming....mind you this is a guy who has been shooting for like 30 years and isnt a bad shot.....he hands the gun to me and im able to get them all in a paper plate at 15 yards

6. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

Everyone shoots their USP low (and left, usually). Well, until they learn the trigger.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Glocks and USP's are good start, P99 and xd if they havem.

8. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I own a 226 .40, the trigger slack is normal. And yes, no safety, only a decock lever.
    I don't mind, since the only thing a safety has ever done for me was get me hyped up to pull the trigger, then get all pissed off when nothing happens and realize that the safety is on.
    Anyways, if you get the Sig, you won't be dissapointed. Got mine used, and I have never had a single FTF/FTE with it. The inaccuracy is probably just because you're not used to it, I do great with mine.

9. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

thats more or less what i figured. I want to give the XD a try because i read it has a grip angle more like the 1911, which might mean it would take less getting used to to fire accurately.

I'm not so worried about the saftey, atm its just myself and my fiance...no kids. Kids may come later but if i fail to teach my kids proper gun safety and they kill themselves playing with it, its my own dumbass fault for failing as a gun owning parent.

What would be the quality differences between the Sig and the Springfield? THe XD is nearly half the cost (new vs. new) of the Sig.

10. jeri534

jeri534 OT Supporter

I had a 226, I bought it brand new and I went through almost 100 rounds with not one malfunction. Was way more accurate than with my Sig Pro, but my Sig Pro had a better feeling trigger. I like HKs too, they feel good in my hands.

As suggested, try as much as you can so u know what feels best for you.

11. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Glock 17/19, Walther P99, Sig P226/P229, HK USP/USPc are all great choices.
    If you're just looking for a 9mm cheaper (money-wise) gun then I'd go with a Glock. Low maint. and it eats everything you feed it.
    Sigs and HK's are obviously also great guns, but you're going to pay quite a bit more.

Gun for the money (and reliability): Glock hands down.
    More expensive gun for the money: HK USP.

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't feel like there is any. Both are quality weapons and would be fine. Really when you're talking guns that are $400 and up I think they're peers on quality and paying more doesn't get you any added quality, just something different. Even some cheaper ones rank right up there.

The trigger of a 1911 is going to be a little more forgiving to poor trigger pulls than a sig most likely and could explain your accuracy problem

13. GuiltySparc

GuiltySparc OT Supporter

The excellence of your info is matched only by your AV.

Thanks for the tips guys =)

14. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

I kinda like it too. :x:

15. soccaian

soccaian New Member

i :love: the P99QA

16. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

Glock FTW

<--- :wackit: