MMA Shorties who kickbox sign in here!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Epik High, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

How do you compensate for your short reach? God has cursed me with super short arms and I ALWAYS get a jab in my face when I lunge in with a jab or cross of my own. I guess footwork is crucial here, and mine sucks. Any tricks/tactics you use against taller opponents?

2. Epik High

Epik High OT Supporter

Wow I should NOT post when i'm drunk...by shorties I meant short people, not fuckin girls

3. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

I like to:

Slip/jab, as in you jab in as you slip their jab.

Step into an overhand right, left body punch to the liver, then end with a right kick to the leg/body and step away.

Just watch zambidis a lot, hes a great counter puncher for being such a short guy.

4. Sirc

Sirc Dr. Hourse Crew #1

Knock off their timing. Fake a lunge, let them react, then really lunge. That's what I do. I have a short reach for being 5'10". Granted, everyone I fight is taller/heavier than me because nobody is near my weightclass in my gym.

5. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

perrying and counters works for me.

6. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

I block all the damn time against tall dudes. Be patient. Make them work. Then lunge in and deliver. Depending on your opponents skill, a good leg kick will open him up for some strikes.

Honestly, I kick alot more than most people, especially when they have a significant hight advantage.

7. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

And if your doing Thai-style kick boxing, grab them tall fuckers and knee the shit out of him. I imagine if your shorter that your rather muscular if you're fighting alot of taller dudes, so you should be able to handel em inside pretty well. All-time fave is the knee em till they block, then as im breaking the clinch, uppercut right in the chin/face.

8. Inferno

Inferno Guest

Try and close them down to eliminate their reach advantage in the center of the ring, get them in the corner and let loose with those power shots.

9. Jason H

Jason H Active Member

When I first started kickboxing my coach cursed me everytime cause he was a midget compared to me at 5.7.. and Im 6.4.. :rofl: