Shortcuts broken

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by icebrain, Mar 15, 2005.

1. icebrain

icebrain Guest

Got a little problem... yesterday when I restarted my laptop, all of the shortcuts decided to break themselves... now the system no longer recognizes shortcuts and won't let me run exe's by clicking on them or by using start-> run.
    I really hope I can fix this without having to reinstall, because it's a Dell laptop that didn't come with the OS on a disc... it's got this little setup that you have to hit a key combo during startup, and that will format your drive and reinstall everything like a fresh computer. I really don't want to do that, and then have to spend hours removing their programs and installing mine.

I found some tips that apply to windows NT but I don't know if they'll work for XP; the last of them was posted in 1999.
  2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

Aug 30, 2004
    Did you do a virus and spyware/adware scan to make sure that wasn't the problem? There should be some online services that will let you scan (as long as your browser works) and elminate that as a potential problem.
  3. icebrain

icebrain Guest

Well, I've decided to just reformat the thing... I don't suspect a virus or anything since it happened when Excel froze, so I had to restart using the power button... everything got messed up on startup. I've also been running ad-aware pro, spybot, norton antivirus, and Firefox... and nothing came up the last time I did a scan.
  4. who?

who? Guest

does it say "searching for blablal.exe" when u click a shortcut? if so, it's a virus, i've gotten it before... i believe my brother downloaded a diablo2 hack and that's how i got the fucking thing...
    anyways, i fromatted and evrything was fine after