MMA short rant over nuthuggers

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by kroneX, Nov 27, 2008.

1. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Too many times at training a new guy will come in and they will sit down, listen to the technique being taught that lesson and then go off and do their own thing.

This is especially prevalent with eddie bravo nut huggers. We will be doing rounds, ill go into the guys guard or something and he would put rubber guard on and ill just be like :nono: Ill ask what they are doing, and they will say something along the lines of 'i saw this on youtube' 'its in eddie bravos books' 'but eddie bravo does this'

I have now begun to refer to these people as youtube fighters.

Why do people think that just because someone good in the sport does something they must copy it exactly from them (especially eddie bravo, who i think gets more credit than what his worth, though his charisma rather than skill). Why don't they work out their own technique and what works for them. Ill admit i have given the rubber guard a go, it didnt work for me too well, so i really dont use it at all if ever any more. If it works for you thats fantastic, but if it doesn't, don't worry about it, try something else that works for you and keep progressing.

Finally learn what your instructors teachs you, not what you saw some dude do this time on youtube. If you want, its cool to look over some technique again and again over youtube but DONT i repeat DONT just say 'eddie bravo is teh best in the world, im gonna adapt his game exactly! lololol its my first lesson lololol'

Another thing that makes this worse was movies like never back down, red belt and the up and comming movie 'never surrender'. God damn, these things attract so many people into bjj/mma, they last about a week, tell you about how eddie bravo is the best and then they leave, never to return.

GARRRRR

2. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

I use the rubberguard the most :dunno: Everyone has different styles, just because something works one way for you doesn't mean it won't work for someone else.

If people just accepted Jiu Jitsu as what it was people wouldn't call it Brazilian Jiu Jitsu now, they modified it and made it better, so fuck you.

This thread is fail go die now please.

3. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

I hate that everything has ridiculous names from some guys (ESPECIALLY Bravo) so you have people saying, "man, did you see the transvestite raper transition to the blue-balled dog? Let me try it!" when I'm trying to teach an armbar.

I LOVE being taught in Portuguese. Flower sweep, spider guard sweep, scissor sweep, on and on and on...it's just a sweep. Peruvian necktie, armtriangle, darce, guillotine...it's all just a guillotine. All the kinds of lapel chokes you can think of with 2039409328 names...it's a choke.

Simple, to the point, and jiu jitsu.

4. Redneck Shinobi

Totally agree on that point, I don't think they need big old fancy names. Just names like MY GOD THIS ARM!

5. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

IMO brazilian definitions are just as bad as the eddie bravo shit. Flower sweep wtf, the people that do it best are the japanese. The moves name is a discription haha.

Osoto Gari - large outer reaping throw

BJJ names remind me of kung fu names like sun punch haha

6. Hillary

Hillary fukc yaeh. ew waitled long enough. nujgses of hill

No I was saying like that's what we call the shit here. I trade a black belt here, English classes for BJJ privates. He teaches me in Portuguese and I'll ask him what something is called...every sweep is just "sweep," chokes are just "choke," etc. It makes me focus a lot more on jiu jitsu conceptually than for specific moves.

7. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

werd, next thing you know they will be making up even crazier names for this shit and eddy bravos shit is crazy. You see some one pull off a sick sub in the ufc and joe rogan asks the guy to walk him through the sub.

Joe: Can you walk us through that triangle
    Guy: Yeah I was in the guard and I put him down on lock down then I switched it over to set up for a sumo plata but it wasnt working so I fliped it around and caught bavarian hand job
    Joe: Hopefully we will be seeing more of those bavarian hand jobs in mma

8. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

This past weekend my friend asked if I could teach him the rubber guard. :rofl: I told him he didn't need to know that to be an effective grappler and that he should just learn the basics first.

9. kroneX

kroneX New Member

I dont think you understand my point, i think we actually agree.

We both acknowledge that people should use what works for them, not other people. Its great that the rubber guard works for you (likewise the spider guard works for me), if it works for you it works for you. What i am opposed to is when people just rock up to bjj and say 'i use rubber guard no matter what'

Firstly these people stagnate their own progress, by not finding out what works for them and secondly they are so closed minded they are sticking with one type of guard, which pisses me off, cause it gives me someone worse to roll with, which stagnates my progress.

10. miek

miek New Member

:rofl: it's pretty funny how rogan will sackride bravo and the rubber guard pretty hard when commenting "grapplers in mma suck, they need to use the rubber guard to be good" blah blah blah, or like someone was saying "now so-and-so has him held in retard control, oh here we go to the electric chair sweep" like wtf lol it sounds really weird

for the record my instructor is not a fan of the rubber guard, i started using it when i was rolling with a couple people to try it out so he said i was using the rubber dick guard or something :rofl: he's a pretty funny guy

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

so kronex did the new guy gogoplata you from the rubber guard??

12. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

People find out fast that its really hard to play rubber guard when they cant break my posture first.

13. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

in josh barnettes instructional he had a section called snapping the rubber guard. Once he broke it down it was funny because if some one pulls it and you know what to do its pretty easy to turn it against them. Especially if they arent skilled at using it.

14. kroneX

kroneX New Member

Like most guys are saying, its really prevalent among eddie bravo nuthuggers, but it also applies to people who say watch marcelo garcias x guard, and try using it without any fucking idea on what they are doing... however all the people i have met who are youtube fighters always use rubber guard.

15. teep

teep New Member

lol i saw this fat kid with the worst hip flexibility ever try to use rubber guard the other night. i couldn't tell what he was doing at first so i asked and he was like :ugh: "dude its rubber guard"

its the same in all combat sports. i see new kids every day trying to throw flying knees and spinning elbows on the bag before they can even throw a proper jab.

16. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

:rofl:

It's not worth getting worked up about though. Everyone likes to at least try and experiment with stuff they know that's way ahead of them, just for interest's sake. To me it shows a hunger to learn rather than a know-it-all attitude.

17. Redneck Shinobi

Yeah I agree with that :rofl:.

I didn't actually mean any of that die shit, I was just being an ass.

I guess I didn't read your post that closely because that makes sense. I use other guards, you kinda have to adapt to it, since people will look for better positioning and you should be too.

I'd get pissed off if the guy I was rolling with would pull out a different guard instead of doing the drills properly. You're right it does hinder your improvement and they are retarded if they think that one guard will work every single time, because it doesn't :rofl:.

I actually think these guys are more dangerous to spar with though because they do the unexpected. You'll notice with a lot of guys who have been doing it for long enough they start to fall into habits and I at least have an easier time reading a more experienced stand up guy then a noobie. I got caught with a spinning backfist a few weeks ago from a new guy. Didn't really do too much damage, just surprised the shit outta me.

18. Kuet

Kuet New Member

are you whining cause the guy is trying to try the rubber guard, or cause you just dont like eddie bravo nutthuggers??

I dont see a problem with trying some move you saw from some guy on youtube or tv.

19. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

He's annoyed because the people he's talking about go off on their own instead of doing the move they're being taught.

20. miek

miek New Member

especially when they go off on their own and are doing those moves wrong lol