Shopping in Japan winter

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Movendi, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

Where are some places to check out for fresh trends and stylish clothing? I'm 6ft 1 and 75 kg with big feet (Size 12 australian).

Where are some places to buy cool art (manga?) ?

What are some things that i must check out and buy?

2. Marimekko

Marimekko wehh

what part of Japan are you going to?
    If you are in Tokyo...here's some places I like:

Shibuya:
    Clothes: Beams, United Arrows, Hare, Ships, all in the vicinity of each other. There's quite a bit of stores around and they all have decent selection of shoes and clothes.
    Manga: I would go to Mandarake if you haven't gone before. Its a super otaku store they have everything from manga, toys, to all the pervy hentai stuff that you foreigners love :mamoru:
    Eat: I recommend Elephant Cafe which is on Dogenzaka if you haven't gone. Its an Asian fusion cafe but the atmosphere is pretty cool (huge buddha in the middle, dark lighting, huge wood tables with elephant heads and loud house music playing)

Omotesando (Hanzomon line 1 stop after Shibuya):
    Shop: Omotesando has all the brand name stuff..Dior/LV/Gucci,etc but I would recommend going to Loveless. Its right before the Prada store, on the opposite side of the street, you'll see an entrance to a cave like thing where you go downstairs and they have lots of cool underground brands as well as Kris Van Asche, Cloak, April 77, etc. The first floor is entirely Goyard and upstairs is women's stuff. They also have art books/music and a bar where if you purchase something you can get a drink of your choice for free.

3. Marimekko

Marimekko wehh

i just reread your thread :o you are pretty tall so I don't know if domestic brands like beams, ships, united arrows will fit you. but it still may be worthwhile to window shop to look at the trends and how people dress around there.

Harajuku is also a good place to go see the crazy cosplay fashion as well as streetwear fashion. If you are walking down Omotesando, on the same side as Omotesando Hills, walk towards the huge Ralph Lauren store, right when you past RL there's a small side street and turn right in there, and you'll find all the streetwear stores: BAPE, BBC, Neighborhood, Head Porter, X'Large, Supreme, etc. There's a really good okonomiyaki/monja place there too called Sakuratei but I'm too lazy to type out the exact directions so PM if you want to know.

ok im tired now.

4. Movendi

Movendi Techno-süchtige

Yeah i'm going to Tokyo for a week and then i got 6 or so weeks to daytrip to other cities (staying in Toyota - 1 hour from Nagoya).

I'm not going to bring much winter clothes because i don't have much and plus it takes way too much luggage space which leaves me very little to bring back new stuff.

Would i need a map for Tokyo? One of my native Jap friend is not from Tokyo but he'll be with us for most part of our trip.

But i'll be spending about 8nights in Tokyo but i have a feeling that won't be enough to cover it all :o

5. funkdis

funkdis OT Supporter

no it wont be. your screwed. 8 days in tokyo not enough.

but yes, shibuya/harajuku/omotesando is your best bet for shopping. its all pretty much a line of shops you just follow. my friends always get confused when i take them down that way, im like lets meet in shibuya, then walk about 10min, and then say we in harajuku.

have fun here.

6. Marimekko

Marimekko wehh

you said you're not bringing much winter clothes....at least bring a thick jacket because i am already freezing my ass off here and it will only get colder :hs:

if your native Japanese friend is taking you around, I would still suggest you get a map bc it is impossible to find anything without a map and just the address.

8 nights is still a considerable amount of time..you could split up half for sightseeing, half for shopping..though you would only be able to cover the major spots (shibuya, omotesando, harajuku, akihabara, roppongi, asakusa)

7. k1d.

k1d. New Member

Do you think you can pick me up some Killer Bee / Kid Yamamoto gear?
    I'll pay you! =] PM me if interested. (He's a MMA fighter, and Killer Bee is his gym... they only sell/ship to Japan.)