Shopping for speakers for my uncle

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by veonake, Oct 5, 2006.

1. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Like the title says, my uncle needs some new mains and a sub. It's a fairly large living room with open hallways. He prefers bookshelf speakers, but I may convince him to do floorstanding if that's the right choice (the bookshelf speakers will be on stands anyway). It will pretty much only be used for movies, and occasional music.

Budget for the speakers (pair) is $300 (new or used), and budget for sub is also $300.

It seems the Paradigm Focus or Titan might be good choices, maybe something from JBL? I've heard good things about the stuff from av123.com and axiom, but it all seems a bit out of the price range.

As far as subs go, SVS gets very high marks, but I'm not sure if I can find a model powerful enough and stay within budget (used of course).

So, suggestions? Thanks all.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if i were you id just make it 600 and get better and bigger speakers, 300 will get jack shit for a sub

3. johnson

johnson New Member

DIY sub.

www.acoustic-visions.com has the classic Adire Tempest 15" for around $150 and you can find a 250w (probably want more though) for $100-$120. You wont be able to get a decent sub for that size of a room for $300.

He only wants 2 speakers? No center channel or surrounds? Does he plan to add more speakers later? If so, id get two large speakers like Ronin said. They should have enough bass extension for the time being.

1. Fronts
    2. Sub
    3. Center
    4. Side Surround
    5. Rear Surround

4. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Don't think I want a DIY sub because I don't feel like taking the time to build a box. He already has rear satellites and a center channel (I'm aware it won't be the same timbre).

What about $300 for a used sub?

5. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

I'd go with a pair of X-LS bookshelves from av123.com and a PB-10 from svsound.com.

6. johnson

johnson New Member

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

i love my polks (RT600i, older). the whole cabinet has about the same footprint as hefty bookshelf speakers, and they stand about 4-4 1/2' tall. fairly equivlent to some BS on a stand. And I have a Polk 8" powered sub. It rocks my room enough for me