Shopping for HD-DVD player. Opinions?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by itchiban, Oct 20, 2007.

1. itchiban

itchiban New Member

I'm ready to throw my lot in with HD-DVD. I dont have a 360 and dont plan on spending 450+160 for the elite and add-on. I just dont game that much. But I also dont have the godly setups some of you do...

So I'm looking for opinions on a value player. I dont want bargain basement, but I dont know which of the inexpensive ones are worth a damn.

I have a sammy DLP with a regular 5.1 sound system and using a Oppo 970 for upconverting.

I just want 1080p. :hs:

Thoughts? Opinions? Reviews?

:bowdown: in advance.

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

I've heard the Toshiba XA2 is pretty good. It uses a realta chip and is supposed to be one of the best upscalers on the market for the standard dvd's as well. I know it was closeout at a few retail locations, but it can probably still be found on the interwebs.

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

format wars ftl

4. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Well I settled on the Toshiba A30. The A35 can pass 7.1 through the HDMI, but I dont have a receiver that supports it so I saved some money. Plus, Amazon has the A30 for under 300 bucks. I'm happy. :)

5. AO

AO New Member

Itch,

From the few reviews that I read, the A2 at 1080i actually looks better than the A20 at 1080p. (It had to do with playing a calibration disc, 'strobing,' jiggies, etc.

For example,
    http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/review4810_main24058_page2.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/video-players-and-recorders/toshiba-hd-a3/4505-6463_7-32563584.html

Another complaint was that the newer models seem to be not as well made as the second generation and that all one really has to do is update the firmware on the older models to bring them up to the same spec on the new models, pocketing the difference in price.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  6. ssabripo

ssabripo Banned

the A2 is a great value vs performance package, and at the sale prices that will start to come out, it will be just hard to pass up.

7. joetama

joetama New Member

Indeed...

I just wish it was over so I could stop hearing about it and just buy a damn player...