GUN Shopping for a Pre-Ban lower (NY'er)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paintballny, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

So, I've finally decided to pick up an AR and I'm tempted to buy a preban lower. The only issue is I really don't know what to look out for when it comes to used preban lowers. My gut says to go for a colt lower which undoubtedly came from a complete rifle and is a known benchmark when it comes to AR's. What should I be looking to spend? I have come across a few complete lowers in the 650-800 range (colt being on the higher end of the spectrum). I also considered complete colts (~1500) but since I want a flat top rifle I feel like it'd be a waste of money as i'd most likely be going with a new upper anyway.

The thing that makes me pause when looking at the colt lowers is the sear block and the larger pin holes. I know they make adapter pins but what about the sear blocks? Will I be able to run a different trigger (giselle and such) if I decide to down the road?

Is it really worth it to get a pre ban lower or should I just got grab a ban compliant S&W MP at gander for like $800 and call it a day?

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

sucks you have to fuck around with that

sorry bro

3. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Its part of the joys of living in New York. Its not a huge issue... I mean realistically I could just go with a post ban config with a pinned/fixed stock, permanent muzzle brake, 10rnd mags, and no bayonet lug but it'd be nice to actually own a gun I can modify as I please (within reason) and one that will hold its value, in ban states atleast.

4. GearHead

GearHead Active Member

Holy shit, 800 bucks for a lower? :rofl:

Damn dude, I thought CA was bad

5. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

for a complete preban colt lower... which means I can have all the evil features... Olympic arms, Essential arms, etc are usually cheaper... around 6-700 from what i've seen.

I could always get a new post ban spikes for like $130 after the transfer fee but I'm tempted to get the preban.

6. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

I feel your pain about 3 times per year. My gf's parents live in WNY and in the 5 hour drive from Ohio I can't bring my gun, even though 4 of those hours are in gun friendly states. Fuck handgun license states.

7. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

Gun laws in NY are fucked. Which is why i really want a preban lower... just so I can have the rifle I WANT... not settled for.

8. Paintballny

Paintballny New Member

any advice anyone?