A&P Shopping for a new Laptop and building a new pc... input is appreciated...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by turbodude, Nov 19, 2009.

1. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Hey guys, im in need of new computers. Doing alot more event work, as well as working with a modeling agency. Need to up the processing time. My stuff isnt cutting it anymore.

Current setup.

Netbook:
    Acer Aspire one - 1.6 atom, 2GB ram, 10.1" screen - Uses are for rating and selecting images on site and tethering if need be. Software: Photomechanic, PS CS3(used very sparingly), Nikon Capture 2.

Main PC:
    e6400 overclocked a bit, 4 GB ram, 512mb Nvidia card, Asus P5B delux board, 32bit XP. Software: Lightroom, PS CS3, Photomechanic, etc.

Im thinking upping the game to a i7 laptop from HP. They have a deal on Dv7t right now for 1200 shipped. i7 1.6, 6GB ram, 17" led backlit LCD (1600x900 res), 1GB Nvidia discrete graphics, HDMI, Bluetooth, N-wireless, 8cell battery, the whole 9 yards.

or

i can get the dv6t with the same specs with 12 cell battery but with a 15" screen and (1366x720 res, which i dont like) for 1100 shipped.

I dont like the prices of MBP, and i use legit software for the most part and dont want to re-buy licensing for Macs.

And the PC, i dunno what to build anymore. But i have a budget of 1500 for the PC. I know most of you guys are good at this stuff, so hook a brother up.

And im sure most of these prices are going to go down on Black Friday, so im going to weight for the BF and Cyber Monday sales. But want to start thinking now and getting my money ready.

Should i just wait to build the PC, since new stuff is on the way? I need a laptop now, so regardless of the newer tech i have to purchase now. The PC can wait.

thanks in advance!

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

i7, 6gb ram, 5850, beefy psu and you'll have plenty left over for a lot of storage

if you wait for new tech to build a PC, you'll never build one. :o

3. asdfbunk

if the laptop isn't going to be used hard, look at some of the lower spec Lenovos, they're very good in build quality and aren't bad in price if you can catch one of their frequent deals

4. turbodude

well i would like to get in and out when onsite. and when processing RAW files i need a fast system. I shoot celeb photos and important events RAW. and those are the ones people want delivered while im there, so they can immediately upload to their agency or website. So i need to be able to select 10-15 preferred images; edit and upload them on the spot.

The PC thing is rough i know, i know i want to optimize my build to take full advantage of PS CS4 and Lightroom as well as Windows 7.

5. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

personally i would go for the 15" laptop over the 17". a 17" laptop is just fucking huge and a pain in the ass to drag around all the time, plus it will have MUCH shorter battery life.

as far as building something goes, do you need a new monitor? or is the 1500 just for the box? what about storage, do you need a lot of it or are you just wanting something to hold stuff while editing and storing your files on a server? do you have a case or do you need one? personally, for 1500, i would go with a i7, 12gb of ram, ssd for os/software, and then a large hd for short term storage. but that assumes that you will have your files stored on a server or external drives for the long term storage.

6. derekOT

derekOT New Member

+1 on lenovo
    their thinkpads are built really really well
    Thinkpads have a strong reputation of reliability. Considering how much you'll probably end up tossing this thing around going from place to place reliability is pretty important I would think.

I used to work for HP and I have alot of friends who have HP's. They just aren't built like thinkpads.

7. turbodude

i have 5 gb of storage now. Im going to buy a NAS soon, and have that as my storage backup.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

mbp ftw or do you only want PC?

9. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

I built my i7 system just when it come out :bowdown:

[​IMG]

I would recommend you to get the following...Do not spend more then $200 on a video card, because you can easily resale and get a new one without loosing much money. Although I paid like $550 for my GTX295 :hs:

[​IMG]

I am also looking to get a laptop, i am thinking to get HP dv8, i really need the large screen with high resolution. Its like $100 more than the dv7.

10. pantheR

pantheR New Member

definitely get 8gb of memory, especially since it's so cheap

and rule of thumb is don't spend more than $200 on a CPU but you have a big budget so go for it

11. asdfbunk

Can't get 8GB while maintaining Tri-channel, can you?

12. asdfbunk

Any modern laptop/PC can churn out 10-15 photos in a short amount of time. When you're doing your bulk heavy work though, that will be on the PC right? I'd suggest you get a 15" (at most, 17" battery would die with the quickness) lower speced laptop and build a beast for home.

13. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

No its not. :ugh: And it would not work.

8GB 4x2gb DDR3-1600 is $460 and this is not tri-channel
    6GB 3x2gb DDR3-1600 is $150
    or
    12GB 6x2gb DDR3-1600 is $400

i7 Cannot take advantage of tri-channel memory with 8GB, so it would be more of a bottle neck then any performance gain.

14. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

15. pantheR

pantheR New Member

16. pantheR

pantheR New Member

17. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i bought the amd phenom when the i7 was like $100 more. now, def go i7 for what you can afford. great chip no doubt

19. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

wtf is geil?

20. turbodude

nice thanks! What case? And for teh Dv8 that fucker is 9 lbs...

21. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

I am big fan of Lian Li cases. They are not cheap, but as they say, you get what you pay for. I would suggest you to browse around and see which one you like.

22. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

how are antec cases looking lately? i still have and will always have one of the first antec cases to come out in like 2001

23. asdfbunk

I'm also a fan. I've never owned one, but they look like putting it together and wiring are a fucking cake walk.

24. turbodude

25. bbp

bbp bike watching troll king OT Supporter

I have a Silverstone FT01 Case. Shit is baller.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]