Shopping carts/ecommerce scripts, codes, programs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trlc463, May 24, 2007.

1. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

Hi all

I am at an neverending debate on choosing (actually, finding) a suitable, easy to use "shopping cart"

The main criteria would be that they were free, easy to use, and integratable (meaning that it could be built around an already standing site instead of a site having to be built around the cart)

Some that I have tried and miserable failed at are:

1) Joomla's VirtueCart - I suck at modules/joomla coding, though the cart really did look promising (and it was free)

2) Ecommerce - Makes me want to vomit/kill something

3) CubeCart - Had that "module" look, and more of a build around me deal

4) Zen Cart - Same deal as CubeCart, though in theory of course, one could heavily code it so it would look nicer

What I came across that struck me as a godsend was Cart32
    It was simple, easy to use, and most of all, could be EASILY integrated with any sort of site
    However, with a hefty 300 dollar price tag and an extremely waterd down "free version" it seemed I was SOL

Nevertheless, I'm hoping to find someone who can point me in the right direction as to choosing a manageable,free, simple shopping cart system that can integrate into a website

Oh and a question for professional designers:
    If someone does want a shopping cart, do you: use a free one, have them buy one (or include it in your fee?), or code your own?

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

unless they want something like paypal, I code my own.

for off the shelf, miva merchant is decent.

for free, zen cart is the only one I've thought was remotely decent (but it looks like crap)

3. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

in coding your own, how exactly do you do that?

how would you get it to where you can accept credit carts (or 3rd party verification like Authorize.net)

thanks!

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Most of those credit card processing places expose an API where you can send the billing info over via webservice/http post/RPC etc. You would just need to write a module to handle whatever they require.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

All a shopping cart really is, is a variable-length array storing product ID numbers. The rest of the presentation is done by pulling records from a server-side database according to those product ID numbers and displaying the records in a table in thr browser window. I can't help you with the credit card authorization bit, though.

6. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

So if someone wanted to code their own shopping cart, what language would they use?

(My guess is PHP, but I know there are others like Ruby on Rails, ASP, Java?)

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, shopping carts are so EASY.

Integration with the backend for payment processing is easy, too. I generally use CardService International and they give decent APIs. But pretty much any web-based processor will have an API you can integrate.

8. SLED

Any server side language is fine since they all can read/write from a datasource. Language is purely personal preference.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

ASP is a Microsoft-only thing, so you're likely to run into problems with the growing popularity of Firefox.

Ruby is really flexible from what I've heard, but I've also heard that it's basically just a newer version of Perl, which is best used as a component-integration language (i.e. use it to glue other code together) because it doesn't run particularly fast compared to other languages.

PHP is popular (OffTopic is written in PHP, if you'll note the filename in the Address bar on your browser), but the layout of the code and the layout of the interface that the user sees are pretty closely linked, kind of like how it's hard to indent HTML code without having those indentations show up in the browser window as well.

I'd probably go with Java Server Pages in this case.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You fucking douche... ASP is a SERVER-SIDE scripting language. It does not fucking matter whether the client is Safari, MSIE, Opera, FireFox, or even Lynx! It is the same to EVERYONE.

Ruby is probably the LAST language to use because it's newest and least likely to have a supported API by the processor.

Could you fucking generalize any more? Ever heard of M-V-C? Use a framework!

Why does anyone listen to you? You have ZERO experience in this.

11. SLED

Most processors just make use of a HTTPS post, ruby should be fine.

Just in case, I'd pick the processor company before doing any development anyways.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yea, CSI gave me PERL/ASP/PHP APIs. Not a simple HTTPS post. Although I could see that being true with other providers.

13. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

I like xcart gold for it's integration capabilities. It's been a few years since i've developed anything using it though. I'm not sure on what's out there now.

14. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

can you tell me more about integration of backend payment processing system...

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

which processor? Check out their API. Usually not much to em.

16. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

when you write your shopping cart...how do you make sure there are no flaws/security issues....do you have someone qa it or what

also what is the best processor in your opinion?

17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'll stay out of the processor debate. I use CSI. They have been good to me. They are BITCHES with chargebacks, tho. I can provide 100% documentation that a transaction is legit and the cust received everything they paid for... But CSI will always side with the customer.

But I generally go with whoever the client is using. CostCo seems to be popular, as is Wells Fargo.

18. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

how do you test your shopping cart script? is there a general rules you should follow so you dont fuck up

19. trlc463

trlc463 New Member

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The best way to test something is to think like a hacker/pirate and try to break it. Only then will you know if it's up to snuff.

But really, I treat a shopping cart like any other piece of code. Plan it out, execute it well, don't rush it. The biggest thing that throws people off is CC numbers. It's really no big deal. ANY time you take input from the customer and use it for processing (it could be a simple "pick a number between 1 and 10" or "whats your ssn?") you need to clean it up. You must protect ANY input from attack, not just a CC number. So really a cart is no different than any other site. Search the web and you will find a multitude of classes written in basically any web-based language that can be used to make input safe and test it before actually using it in your application.

But honestly, a cart is no different than any other web application. (not web page, but application).