"Shopping cart" software?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by :eek5:, Aug 14, 2007.

1. :eek5:

:eek5: i OT Supporter

How do I go about getting a shopping cart/purchasing system set up on a website? My uncle wants to expand his business to the internet, and he wants people to be able to buy stuff with paypal/credit cards.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

zencart is very easy to rollout. It is about as ugly as can be, but very easy to start with.

Depending on his host, they may offer a MIVA license, which is another good cart.

Good to start with and I recommend moving to a custom-built web app if he needs something more serious down the road.

3. :eek5:

Thank you for the suggestions.

I will look into Zencart. Is the ugliness the only factor? If I can change the interface to match the website's, maybe it won't be so bad.

Any idea of Dreamhost offers a Miva license?

I don't know how serious this is going to be, as of now it's going to be a pretty small thing. Perhaps if this thing takes off we'll hire someone to custom-build one for us.

Again, thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, some dreamhost plans include a miva license.

Zencart/oscommerce is ugly no matter how you slice it; You can skin it till you're blue in the face but it'll always look like zencart/oscommerce and it'll always be ugly.

You can make it less ugly, but it'll never look particularly good. That being said, it's easy to navigate for the user because it is so cookie-cutter.

And don't get me wrong..... I actually recommend zencart to most people. And I think it is a great thing to start with. A custom webapp can be expensive, and should be considered down the line.... But to start-up, zen cart is great. And if you don't get a miva plan through dreamhost, you still get the one-click zencart install that's free. verfy easy.

5. :eek5:

Cool, I guess I'll check it out. Thanks man :bowdown: