A&P Shooting Xmas family photos

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by tenplanescrashing, Oct 1, 2005.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I've been asked by our secretary at work to do her family's xmas photos this year. Her neighbor is also interested. She asked me how much to charge her but I don't want to give her a price without some kind of assistance. I don't want to over charge and have her say no but I don't want to under charge and make my services look cheap. Here is what I was thinking for pricing:

1 family/2 settings: $75 (includes time, driving, setup, equipment and post-processing)

Prints
    4x6/5x7 = $1.00 each (min: 20)
    8x10 = $10.00
    20x30 = $25.00

What do you think?

2. mojito

mojito New Member

who orders a 20x30?

8x10 is kinda cheep

do they want 4x6 or 4x8? ask them, don't want to chop off their heads or feet to make the right size

do you know how to pose multiple people? look up irving penn to see some examples, and look at his pyramid type posing of small groups

3. tenplanescrashing

The setup of the group isn't my question...its the pricing. right now, Im not even sure if i'll be doing the printing. Im just wondering about the shoot pricing.

4. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

thats what i'd charge

5. mojito

mojito New Member

i know, but the two are directly related. If you know what you're doing and can produce something meaningful, than that price if not higher is justified. If its going to look like a candid from someone that they found walking along the beach or whatever, than well you know

First step is to talk to them and find out what they want. It all depends on that. Never just quote a price, they may think it includes more tahn it really does. Call them and ask them specifics on each area (setup, prints, etc), then give them a quote. If there friends or whatever, you can show a higher price typed, then hand write over it a lower price, showing them that you're giving them a better deal than just anybody, and that next time the price may be increased from what they paid the last time

6. well at least you got soem time to think about it :hs:

7. tenplanescrashing

She is a friend and approached me about doing it. She wants something out at her ranch, possibly with one of her horses. I am fairly comfortable with the setup (flash, strobe, etc) and the setting and can see where you're coming from. I think that is what i'll do...write up a fair price, charge her less and keep it normal for her neighbors. I'd like them to do word-of-mouth for me so I didn't want to jack them with the pricing.