MIL Shooting wild dogs in Iraq.... tell me your stories.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WildBull, Nov 18, 2008.

1. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I used to enjoy going out to post in the mornings off of an ECP. The wild dogs out there (who most likely had diseases and rabies) would always trot around looking for early morning food. They would travel in packs of about 6 and wander in around 300 yards. It was kind of like deer hunting, but better. I remember my ACOG being way off its zero and I had to walk in my shots most of the time. It was kind of funny because when a bullet would land next to one of them they would look around dumbfounded, or if it landed in front of them they would take off running.

Another time when we were on a night mission I had a pack of wild dogs surround me. There was about 8 of them closing in fast and I could see them through the night vision. Our mission was weeding out snipers and identifying possible IED emplacement. I radioed my CO and told him the situation about how they might attack me and I will be forced to shoot at them. He laughed causually over the headset and told me not to worry about it :ugh2: . I know animals, and I know what a wild pack of dogs can do. I told the CO that this is his last warning before I shoot if they get any closer. He then told me no and he ordered me to use my surefire to scare away the dogs. :ugh2: We were blacked out and in concelement... way to go asshole you just gave away our position.

Anyway, shooting dogs was neither smiled upon or frowned upon by my command. Sometimes you would have the typical animal peta lover complain and get all butthurt, but logic overcomes whatever else they are feeling at times. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, cats and what have you but these animals were different and many people will agree with me on that.

2. EYOB

EYOB Guest

ThrowingpuppieoffcliffandtheunitedstatesmediafrenzyfollowingafterwardsandIjusthit38000posts.gif

3. WildBull

WildBull Guest

yeah i didnt like that

4. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

PETA does not approve of this thread...

all the pack of wild dogs i've encountered in the Baghdad AO were easily scared off with a violent rush.

5. if you had shot the dogs wouldn't that give away your position as well? legit question not trying to be a smartass.

6. Drunk Bastard Audio

Drunk Bastard Audio New Member

truth hurts!

Dogs sense fear...fuck those lil mangy mutts.

7. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

how do you know if they have rabies?

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

Just admit it.
    You wanted to shoot something.

9. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

My bro's friend put "parachutes" on some puppies they had to do something with because it's momma got capped after biting a soldier. So while on top of a tower pulling guard duty, his friend rigged some kind of parachutes for the puppies and threw them off. Said the last one actually kinda worked, was like,

"wtf, I always tried those with my GI Joes when I was little, how the fuck did you get it to work?!"

10. WildBull

WildBull Guest

there were a couple cases. Some hadji got bit and he died from something.

11. WildBull

WildBull Guest

Yeah but I would have rathered a shot in the dark rather than a surefire where you can see my exact location.

12. WildBull

WildBull Guest

You're somewhat right and wrong at the same time. We had a problem with Syrian sniper teams in our AO - if you've ever gone hunting in the woods for deer or any other animal and you've heard other shots ring off close to you - you know the general direction, but it's impossible to pinpoint. If you see someone with a flashlight you know the exact location. I've seen this many times trying to exit woods when the sun goes down after dusk.

And thirdly you are wrong about the pack of dogs attacking me if I want only wounded or whatever. I know what they were up to and they were closing in on my fireteam pretty good. They started at a distance and slowly stalked their way and then when they closed on us they were in attack mode, trust me. I like dogs, I enjoy playing with them when they're mad. But in this situation it was much different.

I have no problem shooting wild, rabid dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  13. WildBull

WildBull Guest

Oh, by the way.... for you telling me that I was insubordinate and had granduer...... our CO got relieved of duty and kicked out of the Marine Corps within three to four months of being in Iraq. :ugh2: And here I am getting promoted and stuff, guess I should have listened to him more.

14. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I followed his order... I was just mad about it :dunno:

15. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

Dogs don't do anything wrong and they are unable to choose their life. Let them be. Seeing mass wild/lonely dogs and puppies out there with visible ribcages/bones still gives me the chills

16. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I'm not letting them come onto a base or fob. Otherwise, ok.

17. shiba

shiba Active Member

Its never about what you did, but how you explain it.

18. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

My squad took in a dog it used to go on patrol with us and shit.

19. WildBull

WildBull Guest

I liked the MP dogs those German Sheppards were :cool: . Also had a dog on post with me that would chase away the foxes and stuff at night that tried to get past the hescos. It was a good guard dog because it would bark whenever anything would get near. Didn't need any pas-13s :o

20. burton564

burton564 New Member

In iraq there is no such thing as giving away your position. I guarantee there is some local national that knows where i am going before i do. Its just a fact of life and you get over it.

21. WildBull

WildBull Guest

this is true, but we were on foot and I didn't really want to single myself out become a target :hsugh:

22. EBK

EBK Hate hippies & hadjis

ure weird bro.. presence patrols are meant to lure out the insurgency and give away your position

why are u so paranoid

23. greenpillow

greenpillow New Member

well this was a thread backfire..

24. Burrito10

Burrito10 New Member

I thought my story was contributing, lulz. The momma dog was adopted by them, but it ended up biting someone. So they had to do SOMETHING about the puppehs. :hsd:

25. WildBull

WildBull Guest

it was a black out tactical foot patrol, with occasionally stopping to set in and observe. We were the hunters, not the hunted. :ugh2: