GUN Shooting way low. whats wrong..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Styk, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Styk

Styk Active Member

So I finally got my permit and took my new G27 out to shoot. I put 50 rounds through it and it was shooting really low. This is not the first time Ive shot a handgun and never shot this bad before. At about 10 yards i was hitting almost off the paper. The gun is brand new with Glock night sights. I have a feeling it is a problem with me and not the gun. i was shooting standing and using a 2 hand grip. I wont be able to shoot again for a few days to try and work it out but it is bugging me trying to figure it out. Next time i will shoot from the bench and see what happens.

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

anticipating the shot. each shot should be a surprise. make sure the trigger is centered in the pad of your finger and pull straight back while keeping the targets aligned. the break should not be anticipated.

3. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

You're most likely either jerking the trigger, or flinching before the round goes off.
    practice practice practice. Do some dry fire drills, and get your trigger pull as smooth as you can, when you go back to the range, load some dummy rounds in with the live rounds (randomly) so when you come to one of the dummy rounds, you'll know exactly which mistakes you're making. Dry fire practice can only do you so much good, but it's something you can do in your house.

ETA: I'm sorry, Hoss, but I disagree. You need to know exactly when the gun is going to fire. The key is to learn not to flinch when you know it's coming.

4. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:werd: and its free

5. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

+1

A good way to prove to yourself you are indeed jerking the trigger is to load a snap cap/dummy round into a magazine randomly.

Keep focusing on the front sight. It will probably jerk/dip downwards when you get to the dummy round.

This can of course be alleviated with dry fire practice. Pretend each trigger pull is the real deal. I catch myself jerking the trigger with dry fire every now and then still.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Check two things. First check your mechanics. Many people think they know how to shoot but really they don't. They have an idea of how the sights work, but their grip, stance, follow though, and most importantly what they see during recoil needs work. Here's my tutorial regarding mechanics... http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3844919

Secondly it mau=y very well be the gun. Especially if you just changed sights. On a short slide sub compact they need to run a shorter front sight. If your running a front sight for a standard or long slide (aka taller front sight) your going to be hitting low. Shoot the gun off some sand bags or other type of rest that eliminates as much of the human factor as possible. Alternatively you can have somebody that is very good at shooting glocks try it and see if it shoots low for him. Best way is to shoot it off a rest.

I am surprized but how many people just assume fixed sights will be zero'ed. From my experieince they generally are close but never perfect. Then you have to file down the front sight to try to get it to hit point of aim. Sometimes fixed sights are way off and you have to get another front sight. This is why I use and recommend adjustable sights.

Lastly everyones eyes are different. The focal point of my eyes cause me to shoot most people's gun a few inches low. When people shoot my guns they shoot them high. My eye doctor has told me he can correct this when I one day come in for laser eye surgery but I'm concerned I'll have to relearn my index.

7. Styk

Styk Active Member

that is what i thought, I am going to practice a bit before I start to blame the gun. :hsugh:

8. spdrcr

spdrcr OT Supporter

Good info in here. The last Glock I shot I was also hitting low. Now I have a few things to look out for when I take my G19 to the range. I need to pick up some snap caps.