A&P Shooting the Denver Grand Prix this weekend??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nicklk, Aug 8, 2006.

1. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I am thinking of renting the 70-200mm f/2.8 lense along with my Tamron 28-75....

Any suggestions on shooting Indy cars??

2. Airpoppoff

Airpoppoff Vodka > Racing F1

Indy cars are obviously alot faster, You can get away with shutter speeds in exess of 1/160. I've shot on 1/400 and it's came out great because they are moving so quickly, and theirs not much wheel to shoot on an openwheel car.

Make sure you use continous AF, Shutter Priority etc, etc

3. Blair

Blair New Member

you might want to get a monopod. also i found it helpful to practice panning technique on slower moving go-karts; let my arms get a feel for it and timing.

4. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Depending on where you are at, if you are just going with the 70-200, I would also pickup a 1.4x TC.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Are you going to be there with press credentials or shooting from the stands?

I've shot there with press creds (will be again this weekend) and the 70-200 is a good length to have, though you may want to add a 1.4x to it if you have it.

If you are panning, try to keep it under 1/250 in order to get sufficient spin in the wheels and tires unless you are sitting at the middle of the main straight. Yes Champ Cars are fast, but street courses are also tight and they will not be going that much faster than other cars in the corners so you will still need to keep shutter speeds in the 1/160 or lower area for the best results.

Forget the monopod with a 70-200, its just not heavy enough to warrant a mono and that will just hinder your panning. Its much harder to pan on a mono than by hand.

If you are shooting with creds be careful, those big heavy cement walls will move much more than you think if a car hits them, I've seen them move several feet, dont be leaning against it when that car comes in. If you are shooting from the stands, try to find a place you can get over the fence as there is a lot of it.

Have fun.

6. Airpoppoff

Just wondering vwpilot, But do you work for a mag, news, or something like that, and is that how you aquired your press pass for such an event?

Thank you.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I generally work directly for sponsors and teams. I dont do a lot of Champ Car, I am there this weekend because the Speed World Challenge Touring cars are there and I do work within that series for one of the car manufacturers and several of the teams.

I also work for a media outlet which is a motorsports website called www.speedarena.com and I get the ocassional work from magazines, usually after the fact as stock sales.

Jimmy
    www.motorsportsimaging.com

8. Airpoppoff

Jimmy You were at the ALMS race for portland? Those pictures are absolutely amazing, I'd do anything to be in those spots you shot from :hs: I had to stick to the paddock stands :(

How long have you been doing work with them?

9. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yup, in all the miserable 105 degree and 75% humidity while wearing a firesuit to work in the pits hell. :big grin:

Thanks, glad you like them.

I've been working with SpeedArena since the beginning of '02 and have been working paid (while holding a part time job) since about the same time. I've been working full time as a photographer the last couple of years.

10. Airpoppoff

Yeah, it was a tad too hot for my ass out there, I think I might have gotten a picture of you, Is this you? :o

[​IMG]

Anyways, If you don't mind Can I pick your brain a little bit about the automotive shots?

11. nicklk

nicklk New Member

I'm just there as a spectator with a camera, thanks for the pointers!!!! Maybe I will see you there!

12. joy division

joy division New Member

bring some fucking EAR plugs. I didn't know this was this weekend? I saw the san jose one last year, it was boss...where/when is it?

13. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

It's usually downtown, should be hot too. I'll be gone. Brian goes sometimes.

14. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Nope. Not me.

It takes place around the Pepsi Center.

15. ]{aptain Insano

]{aptain Insano New Member

work on your panning technique