GUN Shooting someone in self defense

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by cabriolet, Jan 28, 2006.

1. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

I hear conflicting stories about this all the time, some people say if you shoot someone in self defense you'll spend atleast the night/day in jail, most likely in questioning. Others say that as long as it doesn't look like there was a chance of foul play, you'll be released and your gun will just be taken into evidence for ballistics testing. Anybody a cop or have other experience with this?

2. CString

CString New Member

:dunno: i would figure they'd at least have to question you even if it looks like a legit self-defense shooting. i doubt they would actually hold you in a cell though.

3. Accord

Accord New Member

www.packing.org and go to the "experiences" section or whatever it's called.

4. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Seems the stories where someone shoots someone on their property (Home, own business) they don't get held in jail.

5. sleev

sleev It's sleep, life, and death It's speed, coke, and

prolly depends on how long it would take them to make sure no foulplay was involved

6. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

each case is different

7. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

the cases I have seen on the news the guy is taken into custody for questioning and then if found it was defense he is released.. he is never arrested unless he did somethign wrong

8. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Go to "Gun Talk" area. It's their message board.

I don't think they have an "experiences" area though.

9. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

It really depends on the situation, but you can generally expect to be in questioning for hours upon hours. Sometimes when it's a very clear case of self defense they'll question you the next day.

10. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

i think they are allowed to hold you for 24 hours without you being actually arrested or something.. (learned that from Lord of War :coolugh: )

11. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Thanks for the responses, and the suggestion on the gun talk section of packing.org.

The reason I was asking is the other night I saw some people scoping out cars in my apartment complex to steal, it was about 1:30 in the morning so I grabbed a jacket, my cigarettes (excuse to go outside, so I didn't appear that I was trying to bust anyone), and my gun then headed outside to just make a presence so they'd leave. I didn't take my gun out there to be a cowboy or anything, just incase anything were to happen. They saw me and took off, at which point I called the cops, who I'm sure did nothing (can't do much since they didn't break any laws). But when I came back inside I started thinking about it, knowing I had a full day of "emergency" work for clients ahead, and if they had seen me and turned hostile how that would have screwed up all these plans for the next day, so I was just wondering how they went about handling things.

12. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

if you think theres a dangerous situation, going out of your way to put yourself in that situation can get you in more trouble, physically, or legally.
    If you think theres a problem, its best to call the cops and wait.

It sucks, but thats life :hsd:

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

just as a little fyi, and its different in every state but you cant shoot someone to protect your property. its only in self defense. if you walk outside and someone is in your car about to steal it, you cant shoot them. if you walk outside and someone is about to steal your car and you show them your gun you can be arrested for aggravated assault.

not only will you be questioned but you'll be arrested and charged if you shoot someone and they are not either a) in your home (varies from state to state) or b) they are causing you imminent bodily harm

14. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't think the cops would've taken too kindly to you doin that.

15. mrbill

mrbill New Member

if something had happened, you might have found yourself on the wrong end of an indictment.

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

:werd: Unless your in TX you'de be the one getting fucked, next time bring your throwdown airsoft piece with you ;)

17. Accord

Accord New Member

Not in Florida, if there is an intruder inside of your house you have the right to shoot to kill no questions asked under the new Castle Doctrine law.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes, but he said it was outside his apt complex, I dont think that would be covered.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

If he went out there trying to hunt them down or something, then yeah he'd have problems out the ass... but if he was outside minding his own business and those guys came after him, then he'd have every right in the world to defend himself... at least in Florida, I don't know how it works in those communist states with a "duty to retreat".

20. Accord

Accord New Member

When I was at my local gunshop a few weeks ago there was a cop in there getting a laser thing installed on his Glock 22 and it was just him, the store owner, and myself in the store and I guess the cop and store owner were pretty friendly. They were aiming the laser sight down the hall but were having trouble zero'ing it, so the cop goes "hey man, check out this new laser sight and see if it's lined up properly" so I take it and then he says something like "hahah thanks now I got my new throwdown piece" and him and the store owner started laughing... they were just joking around though, at least I hope they were :rofl:.

21. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Yea, like I said I had no intent on using the gun. I didn't run out there brandishing it trying to scare them off. There was two guys walking down both sides of the parking lot, one on each side looking in cars and a slow moving car driving down the middle pacing them. I just went outside to grab a plate number and see if a presence would scare them off. I just grabbed the gun in the case that I went outside and they pulled a gun on me or something :shrug:

22. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Wasn't Florida one of the few states with a "duty to retreat" law?

23. Accord

Accord New Member

No, we have a stand your ground law.

24. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

Past tense.

That law is new in FL.

25. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

In Florida, the bad guy doesn't just have to be in your house, it extends to your vehicle as well, or anywhere you have a right to be.
    Also, if you see someone committing a forcible felony you have the right to intervene. (Rape, armed robbery, etc.)
    http://www.floridafirearmslaw.com/faq001.shtml