GUN Shooting reloads for accuracy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, May 30, 2008.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've never been much of a guy to shoot for the smallest possible groups so in the past if I've wanted to shoot a gun from a rest I'd usually just roll up my coat and put the handguard or my wrists on it and use it as a rest. Now that I'm starting to reload though I'd like to really give a more thorough accuracy tests to my reloads to pick a recipe, especially for my ar15. What do you guys use as a rest? Two smalll sandbags? That big long u-shaped sandbag up front? Front saddle bag on a metal adjustable stand? It seems like there are a lot of options for rests and I don't know which to get. 50 pound lead sled like devices need not apply ;)

2. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Send soybomb monies :(

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I hit the deck and shoot prone. I either go off a bipod or monopod off the magazine. Works off a bench too. For a rifle I don't need a bag. I can baricade or monopod off of just about anything and place my shots.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Hmmm I hadn't considered it but I suppose the magazine would be a fine substitute to get groups at 100 yards and save me some bucks in the process. Whats your technique with handguns yar?

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Handguns I shoot freehand but my handgun technique is pretty damn good. I can shoot 4" 10 shot groups on demand at 25 yards.

I can bench off my forearms on most tables, or again I can hit the deck and shoot prone. For me I roll up slightly on one side and extend my arms out when shooting pistol prone.

If you have some sandbags or a bag of rice (makes a really good shooting rest), kind of form it so you can get your forearms on the table or on the bags, your wrist on the bag, and maybe the butt of the pistol on the bag.

Off bags I can shoot 2" 10 shot groups. These are not internet bullshit groups. These are real groups I can shoot on demend. Again these are match guns with match ammo. I can get most stock guns with factory ammo pretty close long as ammo is decent. For example winchester white box groups like crap, speer lawman groups well, and pmc groups well.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

yes mags work well. I like to put a arredondo mag basepad on my ar mags. www.arredondoacessories.com Really gets the angle and height correct to monopod. Now some people will advise against shooting off your mag as they say it can cause feeding malfunctions. I have never had a issue with this. You will need to test it with your gun and your magazines. A double mag coupled together with a mag yoke makes a real stable platform too. I run both mags same height so it's a better platform and have no problems with ejected cases hitting it. Again you will need to test it with your rifle. Just be prepared for jokers trying to tell you how to shoot.

Joker says "hey buddy you shouldn't shoot off your magazine like that because your gun will malfunction in a fire fight. Also your ejected cases will bounce off your coupled mag and stove pipe in your gun".

Yar looks at joker, grins and continues ringing the 300 yard plates

Joker then goes and shoots off rifle rest at paper at 100 yards and shoots a 14" 20 shot group.

I just don't get it.