A&P Shooting people

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by rallysport, Jan 8, 2008.

1. rallysport

rallysport New Member

Hey everyone
    a friend of mine offered to be a model for me. In no way am i even close to doing anything professional, but she said she'd help me out if i wanted to practice for the hell of it :cool:

I have no idea how im supposed to shoot someone in a "proper" setting when they are posing and stuff though. All i have is my basement and i was figuring i should use a curtain or something as a backdrop? lol
    Besides that, shoot in raw, i have a SB600 flash, 50mm 1.8, 17-50mm, and 90mm macro lenses, tripod and remote.
    Any tips on what i should and should not do? i'm not expecting perfection, but i'd like some tips to at least give me a chance to do something decent for her sake and mine.
    Thanks!

Jesse

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I like to shoot people, blow them up, then frame them lulz.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

use a white curtain or sheet. another color could look cheap
    set your flash to max ec and try bouncing it off different walls including the rear one
    those are all good lenses
    you'll need to be about 10ft away for the 90mm for an upper body shot and it'll be nice for headshots halfway in. you can also use it for short dof shots. deck her out in an apron and have her holding some pans. even a broom. that'd be sweet ;)

4. Asherman

Asherman New Member

Here are two very good tip sites from the OT Art & Photography forum:

http://www.zerotopia.com/resources/models/index.html

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/digital-photography-composition-tips/

Checkout the Art & Photography thread, "Head shots, Advice" 17NOV07. Mojito's advice there may be just what you are looking for.

I absolutely love the OT Art & Photography forum. I'm primarily a painter, but have an enduring interest in all image media. I do a bit of modeling from time to time, and have taught composition to a few people. I check out this forum several times each day, and always come away gratified at the quality of images, the willingness of contributers to share tip and tricks, and the increase in my knowledge.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
  5. rallysport

rallysport New Member

thanks guys :cool:

6. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Asherman. You are a mentor for all o7's...and a lot of regulars.

NICE post mate :h5: