GUN Shooting my first match on Sunday...:noes:

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Apr 3, 2008.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

Seriously, I'm already freaking the hell out. I know it's supposed to be a fun time and all but i am very competitive and I know I'll be pissed if I do shitty.

I bowl competitively too and I beat myself up for throwing shitty games and I get even more pissed off when my average drops.

I've practiced as much as I can. Been to the range 3 times in the last 5 days. Shot a lot weak handed, all distances, double taps (not supposed to :hsugh:)/mag drop/reload/double tap and anything else I can think of that I have seen in AB13's vids and other youtube vids.

:noes::noes::noes::noes:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  2. geekboy

geekboy Target Agent OT Supporter

you will get your ass kicked.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

now comes the mental aspect of the sport which makes up more of the training than you realize.

Replicating the mindset you maintain during practice in an actual match is something many get discouraged over and is one of the harder parts of shooting competitively.

Stay very alert and attentive to the other shooters and how they run the COF. Be ready to shoot when it is your time to shoot and go to the line with a "plan".

Get your hits, don't get caught up with going to fast, and most importantly, stay safe. My first match, I don't think I realized there was sights on my gun until the 5th stage. lol

4. texchef

texchef Guest

I think lining my shots up and trying not to fumble things will be my hardest issues to deal with. The range I'm going to has a decent course set up and they even have a modified Texas Star. Only the bottom two plates are attached so it don't swing.

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

yeah, me an Texas Stars don't see eye:eye sometimes.

wait till you come to a course of fire with two Texas stars to engage. "controled chaos" when you finish your match, you'll know what I mean.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Most common things I see new shooters do, besides shake like a leaf when they get to the line is:

- being told to "shoot on the move" and they just plant feet and shoot anyhow, it's a range rat gag reflex to want to "stand and deliver". Expect someone to yell "MOVEEEEE!" at you when you do that. And you will realize just how hard it is to hit something on the move. lol

- crowd "cover". You don't have to make love to the dam barrel, stay a good 3-4 feet away from cover, and make sure when transititioning around cover that you "suck the gun in" to your chest area rather than "charlie angle" it and point the gun skyward as you move from cover to cover. or just as worst "TV cop" it and move around with the gun pointed at the ground. Gun should always be pointed downrange, at eye level.

-worst offense is "trigger finger". Keep that shit out of the trigger guard unless you are doing ANYTHING but firing.

-even worst is poor "muzzle" control. keep it pointed at the berm, and when you are told to "unload show clear and hammer down" don't point it at the ground and pull the trigger.

Learn the range commands, and practice the LAMR command and UASC commands.

7. texchef

texchef Guest

When I was at the range I was practicing what to do when the course is over. Strangely enough I kept hearing the guy in your vids in my head. The only thing I have not been able to practice much is drawing from the holster. Worked on it a little here at home but it seems that something gets lost in translation when the gun is dry.

Changed my stance also. I used to practice standing with my body slightly cocked to the side at 2 o'clock with a stiff right arm but have since changed to a more "square" to the target stance. It was a little difficult to get used to.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Kirsch Saul, and Matt Burkett have some excellent training material that will show you some really good dry fire drills and excercises. I do some of those drills in my single stack reload drill video I hosted recently, and it's the drills I use when I practice along with some other home made drills I feel are important.

You can do a lot of good dry firing at home. That's where I feel you really sharpen your movements like drawing and reloading. But make sure you do mix in some live fire with the same drill to know what actually works.

9. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Realisticly your going to get spanked by a 12 year old girl. It happened to all of us. You going to come in dead last or at least bottom 5. It's just how it is. You will do better once you accepting this.

Now that you have been sufficiantly beat down here is something constructive.

The most difficult thing to put together in competition is consistency. for now forget all about this. Treat each stage as it's own match. If you bomb one stage let it go and focus on the next stage. On each stage have a plan, but keep it simple. First stage concentrate on being super safe, and smooth. On the next stage maybe decide your going to shoot high points, so go for all alphas. On another stage maybe decide I'm going to push the speed a little "emphisis on little" (maybe save this one for later in the match when you find a appropriate hoser stage). Be smart let the speed be in your shooting, not something advanced like shooting on the move real fast.

If nothing else you'll get most out of your first experience this way. Granted your pobably going to seal your last place finish with this approach, but at least you got an excuse right :)