A&P shooting meteors with a D60

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ukraine Train, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

There's supposed to be a pretty good meteor shower tonight and I want to try to get some shots. Most sites I've searched say to use an exposure between 15 and 30 seconds but I've read (I think on OT) that a D60 is not meant to stay open that long because heat from the sensor will distort the image. Do you guys have any suggestions? I'm using the 18-55mm kit lens. I live in the suburbs... hopefully it gets dark enough.

2. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

Now that I think about it... maybe it's at 30 MINUTES that it gets too hot, not 30 SECONDS.

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Its temp will rise and you'll get more noise, but I'm pretty sure there won't be any damage to the camera. I'd set it to shoot 30 seconds to a couple minutes at a time and you'll likely catch a few meteors. I saw several last night while working on my observatory late. The best time to view them will be after mid night though.

4. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

Yeah, I read the peak will be around 6AM so I'm just going to get up early for work and give it a try.

5. niquesuave06

niquesuave06 New Member

I used my D40x for a ton of nighttime long-exposure shots, the photos got more and more noisy as shutter speed went beyond 30sec but it was always manageable in PP. I think the D60 has the same "generation" of CCD as the D40x (it may be newer, but I think I remember hearing the ISO performance was similar or the same) so I doubt you'll have many problems :dunno:

Most of my night shots were during the cooler months though, so I've kind of wondered if the ambient temp had any cooling effect on the sensor. . .

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yes cold ambient temps will result in noticeably cleaner images.

7. Ukraine Train

Ukraine Train New Member

Too cloudy today... I missed out.

8. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

D40/D40x/D60 all used the same sensor, the only change was the self cleaning stuff etc that the D60 offered.