A&P Shooting in RAW

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Kenny Dalglish, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

I've read a few sites that offer tips for beginners and some of them say ALWAYS SHOOT IN RAW.. I am wondering if you guys agree with this tip? Is it worth the trade off for the how large the files are?

2. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

With a terabyte costing around 120 bucks...yes, it's worth it. I got some pretty good shots when I started photography and I was shooting JPG, I wish I would've known better then.

3. Kenny Dalglish

it seems like the main advantage of shooting raw is the photo editing possibilities.. are there any other advantages?

4. free_notes

free_notes New Member

i was taught NOT to shoot in raw as a beginner. you become too reliant on post processing than learning on-site techniques.

5. Drunken Karnie Midget

Drunken Karnie Midget In Yeo We Trust, All Others Pay Cash OT Supporter

the editing is pretty much the biggest point, and that overwhelms all else.

6. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Depends on what you shoot. Some of the more 'serious' shots I take like wedding or portraits, I would shoot RAW.

But for snapshots at family gatherings or parties, JPG is fine.

7. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Well, you never actually edit a RAW photo; you simply just add an XMP file that tells whatever program how to display it. Therefore you can "edit" a photo a million times and never actually degrade it.

8. Section8

Section8 .

I switch depending on what i'm shooting. If it's a shot/shoot i really think will be worth a damn, I shoot in raw, otherwise i switch to jpeg.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Exactly...I think too many people overhype RAW.

10. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

:iough:

11. johan

johan Active Member

raw is useful for post shoot editing.

Up to you if you want to bother doing a lot of that.

If not, save yourself the dl time/card space. esp if you like to shoot on small cards, say 1 or 2 GB.

12. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

I always shoot raw unless time doesnt allow me to.

Even with zero editing done, a JPG from camera will always look worse than a JPG converted from raw.

13. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

I mainly shoot RAW if I know I'm going to post process the images. If not, and I'm concerned with space I'll shoot jpeg.

for example, I shot a sports event a couple of weeks ago, and knew that I had no intentions of editing any images past uploading them to the web. So I shot jpeg. this allowed me to skip the RAW to JPEG conversion, and it let me put about 2.5 times the images on a card.

models and such I always shoot RAW.

14. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

I normally shoot raw. If it's time sensative, I'll shoot raw+jpg so I can upload quickly, but for the most part it's raw. I tend to run most of my pics through a bit of post, so it works for me.

That said, my brother-in-law, who is a much better photog than me, never shoots raw.

15. Kenny Dalglish

thanks for all the input! i guess i'll shoot in both raw and jpeg depending on the situation.

16. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

thats the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

Umm. No.

Why you should shoot RAW - by Jared_irl

First, lets establish what we're talking about here. A RAW file is nothing more than a data dump from your cameras sensor. That's it. It's not even a picture until you run it through your RAW converter, which translates it from a data dump into a usable format.

Your RAW file is your negative. Your negative is NOT the same as your final print. Why the fuck would you treat it that way with digital, when you would NEVER consider doing anything remotely similar with film?

With that said, it should be plainly obvious that since your sensor does not actually capture an image, but data, that SOMEWHERE, a conversion and editing choices are going to have to be made. Those choices involve the following:

Saturation
    Sharpening
    Contrast
    Tonal Range
    Image size
    Bit depth
    Color Space

among others. Now, if you're shooting jpg, I ask you - who is making these decisions? You're not.

The argument that people who shoot RAW rely on editing too much is complete and udder bullshit. That's like saying that when you shoot film, unless you send your film to Walmart to be printed, you're not doing it right.

It's hard for me to actually make a coherent response to this, because it's so dumb. If your exposure blows to begin with, you're not going to save it by shooting RAW. Shooting RAW just gives you more control in who makes the decisions regarding your final image. When you shoot jpg, you turn the control over to your camera, and let the camera make absolute final decisions in regard to your image. You can't change your mind, you can't go back and re-do. You're locked in. It's like you took a picture, sent the film to walmart, then burnt your negatives. You don't like the choices that were made? Too bad, fuck you.

Imagine if you still had the negative. You could change your mind a million times. You could do a high key, low key, desat, unsharp, super sharp, [email protected], selective color, etc, and still have your negative sitting there save and sound, should you decide you want to change something.

I'm sick of typing, since I know most of you aren't gonna read this much txt anyway.

But yeah. I only shoot RAW, and I keep all of my film neg's safe. Strange, right? :ugh:

17. Snowballer

Snowballer - Blissfully Insane -

Raw is the digital negative; jpg is not. Go ahead and shoot raw.

I use raw most of the time as long as I'm not taking snap-shots.

18. aCab

aCab New Member

I used to shoot RAW all the time, along with only shooting in Manual. A technical elitist if you will.

Lately, however, I have been shooting in JPEG more and more. I'm becoming more of a fan of photos themselves, not the technical aspect behind them.

When looking at a photo, most people can't tell what camera is was shot with, what lens it was shot with, if it was shot in RAW, what program was used to process it, etc. Though certain things can lead you to make certain assumptions, you can't tell for sure what made the picture the way that it is. All they see is what they see - doesn't matter how it got there.

That's all I care about lately. And I have very high standards. Most people (myself included) need to work on their timing, location, composition, and lighting (shadows , etc , not how light or dark the entire image is) - things that RAW can't exactly fix.

With that in mind, I've been saving space on my HD and am able to shoot longer bursts and have a more responsive camera rather than getting the buffer tied up with giant shots that I don't exactly need.

Does RAW have it's benefits? Yes. Does everyone need the RAW benefits?

I like to think of photography almost like riding motorcycles - the bike can only be as fast in the mtns as the person riding it.

19. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

I guess I really didn't make it clear last time that no one should shoot in RAW for it's ability to fix mcsteaks. That's just bad photography. Anyone that is telling you that they shoot in RAW so they don't have to worry about things like color balance and getting an exact exposure is a bad photographer, plain and simple.

The reason you would shoot RAW is so you control the final output of the image that you present. Much like you would develop and print your own black and white film.

You're absolutely right about no one ever knowing what an image was shot with, or what processes were involved to get an image to the final presented print, but shooting the best possible image is only half of the battle. In order to be a competent photographer you need to know how to process, develop and print the image for it to be complete. Shooting in jpeg is putting the process on auto pilot starting the second you shoot the image. You're letting the camera do the developing and processing for you. Shooting in jpeg is 'auto mode' for processing. Processing is an extention of the art, just as working in a chemical darkroom is an art. You make choices for your images that further dial in your artistic style, intent and vision.

I'll see your 'RAW shooting is lazy because some use it to fix camera mistakes' arguement, and raise you a 'shooting in jpeg is lazy because you're letting the camera dictate the final output of your image' arguement.

:p

20. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

With memory being so cheap, its a no brainer for me. I always shoot RAW

21. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

what the fuck is jpg?

22. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

:werd:

Hell, I have 20GB in cf cards myself (1x 4GB, 2x 8GB), and I just shoot for fun :mamoru:

23. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I like it raw :mamoru:

I almost never shoot jpg. After trying to adjust the white balance at night once after I had shot JPG it made me appreciate how easy raw is to adjust. You're looking at a 5mb file or a 25mb file, I'll take the one with more data, buy a HD every few months.

24. itchypony

itchypony New Member

:bowdown:

25. looslip

looslip New Member

I only accidentally shoot in jpeg when my dial gets turned to one of the scene modes...