A&P Shooting full manual... I hate missing a shot, but I refuse to go back to AV/Shutter

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Wobistdu, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

Ever since I got my d90, I have always shot either M/AV/S. Nothing else. Ok I lie, picture 00000001 was done on auto just to shoot it. 2 onward have been manual or partial manual.

For the past 2 months now, I've been shooting exclusively manual in an attempt to get faster at it. I'm sick of shots sucking from aperture because of a slow shutter or a shutter that is too fast, thus using an ISO that is high and blowing out the colors.

But man I hate missing a motion shot cuz I'm fumbling to setup the shot. :wtc:

Here ends my ranting. I guess the only way to get faster is to keep doing it right?

2. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

You're going to miss more shots with manual. Nothing wrong with aperture priority. Learn how to dial in exposure comp +/- with the thumb wheel. Shutter speed is listed in real time right in your view finder, so you can see what it's doing and adjust iso/aperture with wheels. Just gotta be more aware. My 2 cents.

3. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

No!!! You're supposed to say "glad you stopped being a nub and use full manual."

Hahaha.

4. Darren

Darren DSLR/Photography/Mac Crew

Why use full manual if you're not going to trust in the technology of a sophisticated digital sensor? If you wanted to shoot full manual all the time, you could have gotten a film camera. Like Louisiana said, learning what the exposure compensation values can do along with watching how the shutter and aperture values change with each shot will help immensely.

Personally, I only use manual in certain unique situations where I need to take my time and get a 110% proper shot. 95% of all other times I'm in Aperture priority.

5. TheManLouisianaFace

You just have to build up a mental workflow. Here's an example of how I operate, and I still consider myself a noob! (disclaimer)

I took this yesterday.

[​IMG]

Here's what went through my head as I got out of my car:

1. I want to shoot a series, so I want my WB to be constant for batch correction. - Set WB to overcast.

2. It's dim, I KNOW I won't get fast enough shutter out of the aperture range (f4-5.6) I want for the shot. - Set ISO to 400 as a starting point.

3. On Av, my D80 tends to clip the red channel outdoors on cloudy days, for whatever reason. - Lots of red in this frame, so dial in -1/3 ev exposure comp.

So that was three flicks of the wheel before I even put the body to my eye.

Once I got it to my eye, I saw I had enough shutter speed overhead to bump my aperture from f4 to f5, because I wanted max sharpness from my nifty fifty.

So that was only one flick of the wheel once the body was at my eye. Took picture, double checked histograms and focus. Done.

I could have used manual, but this let me find my max aperture more quickly once the cam was at my eye level without having to take a few shots, look at histogram, repeat.

You just have to be smart about the environment and help nudge the body in the direction you want it to go in.

If someone thinks I'm doing something wrong, I'm all for suggestions!

6. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Those options were put in place for a reason. Using those modes dont make you a novice. They put them in PRO bodies for a reason as well. Use the right tool for the job. When shooting sports i often use Shutter priority.

set it to 1/500 - 1/640 and let it ride. Sometimes using AUTO ISO too. However if i know ill be in teh same lighting the whole event then yea, buy all means Manual mode. Outdoor sports is a tricky bastard because of the Sun... and its tendency to go away.

with outdoor portraits with natural light, i will use Aperture priority.

When using flash though... Manual all the way.

they are just tools for the job my friend... Can i use a screwdriver to hammer in a nail? Sure i can, but is it easier? Prob not...

7. legendr34

legendr34 Titanium Member

most of my stuff is shot in Manual, but some situation I just leave it on Ap mode

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

hmmmm good info here guys

thanks a lot gents

i still can't really get in to exposure compensation. in europe i was shooting bracketed shots a lot, but i realized that didn't work for me. now i prefer manual and just overexpose 1/3-2/3 for things i'm shooting when the foreground is darker.

trial and error i guess. maybe by the time i blow the shutter on the d90 i'll be decent [​IMG]

9. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

I tried only using manual for a long time, and gave up... too much to think about when still a noob.

10. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i'm the type that likes to push the envelope so i can learn.

when i was getting my pilots license, i had to fly so many hours solo to reach my minimum 40hr requirement. i insisted i fly it all at night so i could learn more. new pilots rarely get any night experience getting their license. then they kill themselves the first time they go up with a family at night.

11. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Usually when I'm shooting with off camera flash, I have it on manual, since the lighting is pretty static.

When I'm shooting anything else, I usually have it on aperature priority unless the metering is whack, then I simply base it around the same range as the A priority and swap it to manual.

12. TheManLouisianaFace

well, werd. but if he's complaining about missing shots, I don't think he's standing around doing lighting work with a model or something.

13. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

Most def. For the most part, I try to shoot manual if the lighting is pretty consistent, but if I'm going from spot to spot inside somewhere, or going in and out of shade, aperature priority is where its at.

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

aperture ends up letting me down sometimes though. i even use iso sensitivity to help it. set max iso to 1600 and pick a min shutter speed that will usually work.

inevitably i see shots at iso 1600 that could have been 400-800 with a slower shutter or i'll see a blurred motion shot cuz my min shutter was too slow

gonna try and suffer it out full manual to see if i can get better

15. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

90% of the shots I take are on Manual. I'll use Aperture priority when I need it, but its not often. :dunno:

16. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Maybe you should try "P" mode, which stand for Paranoia, since you get so frustrated over missing a shot...

17. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

P for Professional :slap:

18. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

amateurs don't use P mode. i'll blow myself to pieces

19. NOR*CAL

NOR*CAL OT Supporter

I mainly shoot in AV mode, and M when I'm working with strobes.

20. Dan Martin

Dan Martin OT Supporter

+1

Tv only comes out to play at sporting events.

21. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

:werd:

22. nainline6ftw

nainline6ftw Winter is coming

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (helpi'mbored: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

You only need to use manual mode if you are metering a high contrast shot otherwise av and exposure compensation is fine

23. alexromo

alexromo New Member

100% of the time my camera is in M.

I can change the settings on my camera without taking my view out of the viewfinder :)

24. nainline6ftw

nainline6ftw Winter is coming

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (helpi'mbored: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; A6277 Build/CUPCAKE) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Waste of time unless you're shooting raw and spot metering the important highlight of every frame

25. ok_computer

ok_computer OT Supporter

sports = manual

almost everything else = aperture priority :o