A&P shooting for family/ friends for free?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xenon supra, Sep 17, 2008.

1. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

my girlfriend's cousin just sent me an email, saying that she stumbled onto my blog and really enjoyed my pictures, she said she was wondering if I would be willing to take pictures of her and her husband for their christmas card. I am just curious what you guys would do in the situation. I'm very busy with school and don't really have time to travel (they are a good ways away, like 1 hr).

I'm thinking about telling her I'll do it if they can come down to atlanta and do the shoot somewhere close to me.

I am just curious what everyone would do in this situation. I don't mind doing a favor here and there, but I don't want to become the family's free photographer either... just give me your thoughts, k?

2. iDrive

iDrive OTAP crew. Muradadog crew. GO GATORS!

If you have to go out of your way to do it, I don't see why you wouldn't charge (unless you needed the practice or something). Especially with you being busy with school.

3. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

No reason they can't come to you if they want the photo taken. If they want it taken at their place, then I don't see any reason they shouldn't compensate you for your efforts to do something for them.

4. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

If you would be willing to pay for your work, I would say charging is ok. If you feel that it's not up to par just yet then get enough just to cover travel expenses. I'm busy with school, work, and other things so I know what you mean.

5. IntheWorks

IntheWorks windin film.. takin pics Moderator

brother, sister, mother/father... no charge... cousins, small fee, plus small mark up on prints.

6. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Depends on the situation. I did two weddings for free this summer for friends-full on 8hr days, 2 bodies, 5 lenses 16+GB weddings. They, of course, paid for prints but I did not charge a dime. But I did it mainly for selfish reasons: I like shooting wedding much more than actually attending them lol. I still would have done it for free though. My Family gets anything I can do for free and my friends are my family so they get my services for free. They great thing about it is all the work I get from them in return. My family and friends, their friends and coworkers all refer people to me. So in the long run I do make money from it. I also believe in Karma so it makes me feel good when I can help out :dunno: Another plus is I always at least get tipped for my trouble and I got hooked up at both weddings with gifts from the B&G.

7. sony

sony Active Member

depends on how close you are to the cousin but you sound like you don't want to do it already based on what you've written so i wouldn't do it

8. Steef

Steef New Member

i took some photos for my cousin of a car he was selling. i charged 1% of sale price. $15 :rofl:

9. geekierthanyou

geekierthanyou Crews: DSLR, Brolie, Classic Car, Gun, Zombie, Pro

Have them come to you, charge them for lunch/dinner

10. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Thanks for the responses, and just to clear up, I have no problem shooting for them. I think I will give them some nice images, but of course they are not going to be professional quality, but they wouldn't be paying a professional price....

I'm just too nice of a guy to say sure but its gonna cost you $50-100 or whatever small charge I decide on. :dunno: :hs:

11. sony

sony Active Member

If you don't feel comfortable charging them then don't ask for money. Favor for a favor man; what can they offer you?

12. ericande

ericande Active Member

Do you charge for photos now? Or what you just like to? If you don't charge now, you probably need practice. I would tell them to cover your costs ($50 whatever) and you can use their photos for your portfolio.

13. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'll probably email her back and say if they want to come to me I'd be happy to take the pictures for free, but if she needs me to travel then I'll need some gas money and compensation for the extra time traveling. :dunno:

14. geekierthanyou

Haha, yea don't start by charging friends/family... we know how that goes over here.

15. geekierthanyou

and if you do, for the love of the gods of kobol don't post here about it.

16. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Yeah, it's my girlfriend's cousin, who I have met 1-2 times. I wouldn't really consider them close. Anyways, I guess I'll just tell them what I posted above..

17. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

if you don't know them, charge. I'm charging a distant family member (cousin by marriage) for doing his wedding next march. :o

18. FlashhslaF

FlashhslaF New Member

Tell them to pay whatever they wish their pictures are worth. tell them to look at the pictures after they are taken and if they like them and want to pay then its up to them. if not its all good as well.

19. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Who was the guy that charged his family?

20. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Slimeball somethingorother, I forget the full name. I just know slimeball's in it...pretty appropriate name.

21. CRC

CRC New Member

if you need a second shooter let me know :x:

22. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Family/friends, definitely free, but since this is your gf's cousin and they're not close, probably just whatever you would typically charge for that kind of work.

23. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I'll keep you in mind. The last guy I used kinda botched it. I think I used about 3 of his and 400 of mine. :hs:

24. MSTRBKR

MSTRBKR New Member

Came here to post his name :rofl:

Try hinting it to them. You can ask for money to cover the cost of prints, that's only fair. That might then cause them to ask if you want more money :dunno:

Surely if you travel an hour, they'll understand you need some money, atleast to cover travel expenses.

25. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

my thoughts exactly