A&P Shooting for a magazine question.

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Chicle, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Chicle

Chicle New Member

Alright so I am in touch right now with a state sports magazine. (The one that ran my football superman picture as a spread) We talked briefly this afternoon about me shooting for magazine. He talked about me submitting spreads for the magazine as well as doing assignments. He said the assignments would come from him and would normally be close by. For the spreads he said to submit shots when I get them. My question for OTAP here is what is the normal process for this, if I were to shoot say collegiate Division 1 sports, would I go through the magazine to get credentials? Call up the school saying I am shooting for the magazine or what? I'm really green in the whole business aspect of this and really trying to get my foot in the door and this seems like a perfect opportunity. Thanks.

2. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

So you spoke to a magazine and they want you to take pics?
    I'd say take pics at an event without a pass if you can, and if passes are required, hit the magazine back up for credentials. Of course this needs to be figured out ~1 week in advance to the events.

3. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

The magazine should be able to get you press credentials. If not, they should at least send you a letter stating that you are under assignment for them and you can use that to get your press pass.

4. Chicle

Chicle New Member

Ok sounds good, now is it common practice to get credentials for an event looking to shoot for a spread. No actual assignment given other than he told me to get shots to him for the spreads.

5. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

isnt that what an assignment is...????

6. psykosis

psykosis Go placidly amid the noise and the haste

contact the magazine and ask them for a letter of assignment on company letterhead. If you want, have them make it vague enough to encompass all events, but specific enough to define the requirements of the assignment. Scan it to your computer, and submit it to the media department of whatever organization you are trying to shoot. Most will have a contact number also that you can call and explain what you are trying to do. In my experience, most places are more than happy to help the newcomers to this industry get their feet in the door.

7. Chicle

Chicle New Member

But he didn't give me an exact event he would like me to shoot. That's the issue I guess, he said to submit images for spreads and when he wants something specific done he will give an assignment.

It was a quick conversation and I need to e-mail him to clarify somethings but I don't wanna look like a complete idiot when asking some basic questions.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax OT Supporter

ahhhh gotcha!