A&P Shooting Football

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by xenon supra, Sep 17, 2008.

1. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I'm going to be shooting football this weekend for the first time. I'll be on the sideline of the GT stadium.

I'm thinking about this setup

D300 + 2x TC + 80-200 f/2.8 = 160-400 f/5.6
    D50 + 28-70 f/2.8 (for when they get up very close, and for shots after the game of the coaches/ team)

I don't have any longer glass. The game is at noon so there should be plenty of light. Will I still get decent shots @ 5.6 or should I just skip the TC all together and just crop tight.

I estimate if I shoot at like ISO 800 I can still get 1/1000 @ 5.6

Anyone want to give me some tips?

adamlewis? :x:

I want to rent a 300 f/2.8 but I can't bring myself to put down the $6500 deposit :noes:

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

ask adamlewis... he does sports photog. :o

4. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

5.6 is fine in the middle of the day. If anything, just turn your ISO up a click if you need to. Dont think badly about shooting at 5.6 either. Blurred backgrounds are really more a subject of lens focal length and camera->subject/subject->background distances than aperture.

However, FWIW, id rent the 300 if you could. The 300 will easily AF faster than the 80-200 and by throwing a 2x on there, youre only making it work harder. The "deposit" at most places Im aware of is just a hard copy of your card that they tear up if/when you bring the lens back in good shape.

Also, if youre serious, get low and shoot from your knees or even your butt. A lot of people dont because theyre lazy but it will add to your pictures and provide a cleaner background. Only downside to this is that the action can be very hard to follow. Youll notice this when you first go down there that watching the game from the sideline is a lot different than watching it from the stands.

Ohya, also keep one eye open. The game can move fast and getting freight trained by a player is no fun.

5. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:bowdown:

That's exactly what I was thinking about just bumping up the ISO a bit if I need to shoot with a faster SS.

I'm a little nervous about shooting @ 400mm and a monopod. I need to go practice some (never used a monopod before, just got one)....

If all else fails I may just take off the 2x and go for the up close shots handheld. And finally got the battery grip so I can shoot at 8 fps... :noes:

I'm gonna have like 3000 pictures of this game, I feel bad for my shutter.

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

handholding an 80-200 isn't too bad!

7. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

there's a lens rental place downtown.. on 11th or something off west peachtree. their prices that I've checked are about the same as online rental places

haven't used them yet, but they're the only one I know of :o

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Yeah its called PPR, the prices are reasonable, I just can't bring myself to throw down $2k for an f/4 or $6k for a f/2.8

I've never dropped a lens or damaged any of my gear, but I'm just kinda scared something bad would happen :noes:

9. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

400 is tight depending where youre shooting from, what youre shooting, and your ability. The tighter you get, the harder it is to properly keep up with action and fit everything in the frame.

If youve never done anything like this, shooting with the 70-200 can be fine. Youll have to crop some, but its a start. The first game I ever shot was a soccer game and I used a 70-200.

Take as many pictures as you can and learn from it. 3000 clicks? meh...thats what the shutter is for. Theyre supposed to last more than 100k, right?

10. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

insurance!

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

They don't offer insurance, it's pretty :greddy:

12. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

:werd: i was asking some of the guys how many they usually shoot and they said in between 1200-2700 :eek3:

13. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Dont think you have to take a lot of shots to get good stuff. IMO, if youre shooting anywhere near 3000 images of a single game then youre new or you obviously dont know what youre shooting (or why youre shooting). Youre also just hanging on your shutter and hoping to get something.

For typical UL football coverage, Ill show up early and grab some shots of fans, get shots of the teams warming up, cover the entire game, and cover some shots afterwards and I rarely walk away with more than 1000 pictures.

Taking a lot when you start is great. I think everyone does it. It lets you see what it is possible to get. However, I would hope that as you progress and become better at understanding the game and what makes a good shot that you would start to be a little bit more selective with when you press the shutter.

2700 pictures is a ridiculous amount. Nobody stores that many on their computer (and if they do, they certainly dont look through them), nobody sends that many pictures to an employer, nobody prints that many images in a publication, and nobody takes 2700 stellar pictures from anything that take place within a 4~5 hour timespan.

14. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Let is also be said that Im not saying its "good" to take fewer pictures anymore than Im saying its "bad" to take a ton. Im simply saying that, IMO, taking anything over 1000 is a waste (unless youre new and trying to learn).