A&P Shooting band/concert photos this weekend, any advice?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by coughlin's law, Dec 12, 2007.

1. I'm shooting for a friend's band hopefully both nights.

I have a Digital Rebel XT, I'm planning on using my 50mm F/1.8, and setting the ISO on 800...

Any advice or hints to take good concert shots?

2. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

hmm, i never shot concert...
    but my advice would be to remmeber you have no wide angle which is good for this type of shooting. You will be stuck with mostly portrait type shots.

3. What white balance should I try? I was thinking auto, or even Tungsten... Also, I kind of like the idea of shooting at ISO 1600 for a more professional feel to the photos...

4. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

chances are you will want to use Tungsten color temp of ~3000 Kelvin, but the lights will be gelled -- usually with gawdawful red

5. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

ISO 1600 is horrible on a canon XT I don't like to go above 800

6. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

Is it a local show or a big show. I can tell you that you are going to get about 10-20% keeper rate with a 50 1.8 if its a local show. Lighting is usually shotty at those hole in the wall joints. I wish you the best of luck shooting with only a 50. I would take the kit lens over the 50 in a concert setting. Shoot in Tv mode and hover it around 1/125-1/250, depending on type of movement they do. White balance will be a nightmare. I would suggest a custom balance once you get there and see what you are working with. Sometimes have to be careful if they have red light and you go to far, the colors will look really really fake. I dont know how the XTi handles iso noise so i cant help you there. If i remember correctly don't you have a sigma 10-20? if you do and its a small gig ask if you can use flash, that setup would work a whole lot better than the 50 1.8.

Also use AI servo with single point focus.

these were shot with a 30 1.4....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

50 is way too long for concert photography imho.

7. turbodude

Local gig....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these were also a year ago, i have gotten much better since, but the lighting still sucked... can you see the difference??

8. Respectively, I am going to be blending in the crowd and maybe moving around a little I won't be able to get up and close much like you did. I shot previously outdoors at night with my 50mm, open at f1.8 with iso 800 and it was really great, the white balance was off though...

Yes I do own a Sigma 10-20mm, but I think that would hunt in low light so much, being it's only F:3.5/4.0, plus it's only a local show, so I can always try again -- I'm just trying my hand at it. Plus I don't think flash would be all that well, my XT has it's own flash (not a speedlite and it still looks kinda bad)

Although the 50mm f/1.8 is recommended for very low light... so I will use that and see. And I'm prepared for the keeper rate, I shot a parade last month and out of 100, I kept 15, but those were mainly boring (subject wise)

9. turbodude

having owned both lenses trust me, the sigma focuses much faster and much more accurate than the 50 1.8. Larger Aperture will not always dictate faster focus. I can tell you, you are going to hate the 50 1.8, at a local gig. i promise, 1 of every 7-8 shots will be IN FOCUS.

10. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I HIGHLY recommend you bring the 10-20 it won't hunt as much , hell put it in manual focus if you have to, you can get some really good shots that way

[​IMG]

that concert didnt have the best of lightning but still you can go really slow if you keep a steady hand and wait for the rigth moment, that one was shot at 1/30 ISO 400

11. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

having the 50mm I will agree with this man, but bring it anyway so you can experience it first hand, its a big learning experience

12. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

13. turbodude

:werd:

14. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

XTI I dont like to go above 800.

15. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

The 50 isn't bad at all for concerts. At least not the Nikon one I have. Pretty sharp at f/2, focuses well. And in a club setting, it's not too long. If anything, a 30 would be a more awkward length. I've been looking into an 85 1.8, actually, because I think I'd be really useful.

16. turbodude

we are talking about the canon version... it sucks donkey balls... focus is shit.... i still say the 50 is too long, been there done that...

17. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

http://mikedphotography.blogspot.com/

Here's just the shots from the last few concerts I went to, all taken with a 50mm. Neither of those had especially good lighting, with most of the pictures taken at f/2 or f/1.8.

If I want to shoot wide, I have to move back. If I want to shoot close, I gotta move in. This is no different than any other prime, other than the fact that at least with a 50 you can move a little back or a little forward. It sits in the middle and lets your shots be flexible. With an 85 or a 30 you're either wide or your tight. There's nothing you can do to change that. With a 50, there's more give. Dems the breaks when it comes to primes.

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I was referring to the nikon version, thought I think mine is the very old one

19. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

blown out

20. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Yo Shatner, you ever think of doing a wireless flash setup for live? There's this guy in Toronto who goes under the name "kidwithcamera" who does it and it looks pretty kickass. With that much flash power, you can use pretty much whatever lens you want.

http://www.formertransformer.com/gallery/1018/

21. turbodude

i dont particularly like those images either. lol i shoot from in front of the stage always. the only time i use a longer lens is for the drummer. Most pro concert photogs i know use 70-200 for drummer, and 24-70/16-35 2.8 for everyone else. I prefer not to use my prime, but sometimes i want the extra light. but for me i wouldnt be caught at a show with a 50mm sometimes there isnt enough room to step zoom.... i have heard teh nikon 50 was better than the canons. im telling ya the 50 1.8 misfocuses like no other lens i have owned.... and i owned 3 copies. the only one that was even close to decent was the metal mount.

22. Even if I am going to shoot with the 10-20mm, shooting at TV: 50 and ISO 400 sounds like it's going to be slow, and too the area is not that nice of a venue, there isn't going to be a crowd of more than 30 people I pressume, so it'd be eaiser to shoot with a 50mm methinks...

Lighting isn't all a consisted color, there are many colors yellows, blues, greens that are going during when a band is performing.

I could bring the 18-55 aka the stock lens, but how would I go about getting crisp shots and correct colors and what not?

23. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Pro photog's shoot from a pit at a well lit venue...these are shots in a club with shit light. You can't even get away with f/2.8 unless you're doing ISO1600+, and even then your shutter speed is going to suffer. If you're shooting in a club, you're using a prime. Advising someone to use a zoom for a club, even one as fast as 2.8, is bad advice.

24. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

trust me you jsut have to wait on the right moment, i do this a lot

another question are you able to use a flash? you can also use the flash to fill in the people..anyways good luck