GUN shooting advice...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Freakin' Rican, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Freakin' Rican

Freakin' Rican New Member

can anyone give me a few pointers on how to get a good doubletap? (other than the obvious "practice practice practice") Or is that the only way i can get better?

2. oakie

oakie my ninja.

depends on the type of gun we're talking about.

if you have a striker fired gun like a Glock, or a double action only (DAO) type of gun, double taps are nearly impossible. (Glocks are doable due to their unique trigger reset, but requires much more control)

if you're using a single action or a traditional double action (TDA), the process of double tap is easily done with a bit of practice. here's the key:

aim slightly low of center of mass. float the 10 ring on top of your aligned front sight.
    your first shot will land center of mass, while the second successive shot will hit the head of the target if all goes well.
    after the first shot, you will fire the second shot successively unaimed. the technique is getting the second shot off quick enough so your recoil will automatically align the gun for the head shot... but you have to control your trigger finger so as not to "pull" the shot. speeding up the trigger finger can result in pulling the shot and shooting too high. the hardest part is training yourself to use only your index finger to fire the second shot so as not to pull it.

with a ported gun, the technique will allow placement of two shots, center of mass due to the level recoil; using the slide's forward movement to help "bounce" or "bumpfire" the second shot is easier and much more controlled.

like with anything else that demands changes to fine motor skills, double taps are a learned technique that takes months to properly execute. you may want to invest in a Dillon Square Deal-B.

3. oakie

oakie my ninja.

i never said that. :hsugh: