MMA Shockwave 2006 is only really a slightly above average Pride card

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Sammo, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Sammo

Sammo New Member

First, let me say that there are some great match-ups on the card. These are the following:

Gomi vs. Ishida (which should be a title fight, which it's not)
    Melendez vs. Kawajiri
    Aoki vs. Hansen
    Barnett vs. Nog Part II (even though Pride said there weren't going to be rematches on this card)

Then it is all just downhill from here. We have some decent fights which have the potential to be good, but obviously not as competitive:

Nakamura vs. Shogun
    Fedor vs. Hunt (Shouldn't even be fighting each other, especially for the title)
    Then the Minowa/Timura fight and a fight with Kondo who has lost many times in Pride

Then there are a few crappy fights:
    Fujita vs. Eldari
    Yoshida vs. Thomson

Anyways, I am going to be watching this card but it doesn't live up close to what they were saying. I mean, I didn't expect it to be the greatest card ever but they didn't have any of the 183 lb. fighters that were metioned. No Kang, Misaki, Filho or Henderson. None.

2. Sammo

Sammo New Member

no, just people they were talking about being on the card before

it's not so much the fact that he wasn't fighting because of the Pride Vegas card in Feb, but they didn't have any of the other guys..i.e. a rematch between Misaki and Filho

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Hunts got a Title shot?

4. tenmeikanoh

tenmeikanoh New Member

Don't see Nakamura hanging with Shogun? Obviously Rua's the favorite and Nakamura will probably take a beating trying to get position. But, I think he will hang for a while .

Most Pride cards are good, so I agree this one is fairly average. I'm looking forward to pretty much every fight, even if it's just to see a particular guy fight anyone (Fedor, Minowa, Fujita).

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

im looking forward to the Fedor, Shogun, and Gomi fights.

I don't think there's such a thing as a shit match up except when they bring in guys like Giant Silva or Zulu who don't even belong in the organization. It doesn't have to be Mirko v Fedor or Arona v. Shogun to be an interesting fight. Hunt is a great fighter and I think he will do well against Fedor. Nakamura will be just as interesting against Shogun as anyone else, considering his fights are always great. edit: he will last for a while as long as he doesn't take his gi off :rofl:

You could call this one average or great, IMO most pride cards are awesome, so "great" IS average by their standards :rofl:

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

you would be, douchebag

now shut up and kiss me

7. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

Nak doesn't wear his gi in the ring anymore :squint:

8. McClane

McClane Who Killed Marilyn?

I expect Nak Shogun to be a good fight, at least I hope.

9. bpa00

bpa00 New Member

I don't think it quite lives up to the hype from a month or 2 ago. For one, Wandy is heavily hyped in the commercial that is still playing, yet isn't even on the fight card... Should be a decent show, but not worth staying home on NYE for...

10. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

It's an interesting card with some exciting match-ups. I have to admit, I felt great pleasure when I heard that Barnett would be kicking Nog's ass again.