Shocked my old PB, charger toast?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 505, Jun 9, 2008.

  1. 505

    505 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2006
    Messages:
    88
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    New Mexico
    I had the old G4 PB (al 1GHZ 15") out in my TV room last night (it's usually plugged in on the desk in the office). Was watching the game, got up for a beer, and since there is no lightswitch in the TV room, I didn't ground myself out like I usually do before touching the computer. Ended up giving it a HUGE shock.

    Screen goes black with a few green lines, and it started making a loud squealing/buzzing noise. Restarted it, and it surprisingly started to boot back up. The noise came back about half way through the startup process, so I pulled the battery pack out and that made it stop immediately. Booted up fine and everything seemed to work. Busted out my old original battery and put that in it, no noise, but it is not charging at all.

    Profiler using original battery says:

    Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 987
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 0
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 11105
    Cycle Count: 551

    AC Charger (Watts): 65
    Connected: Yes
    Charging: No

    So I installed the other battery just to see what would happen, no noise, but it too is not charging. Profiler for that pack shows:

    Battery Installed: Yes
    First low level warning: No
    Full Charge Capacity (mAh): 1451
    Remaining Capacity (mAh): 87
    Amperage (mA): 0
    Voltage (mV): 12165
    Cycle Count: 329

    AC Charger (Watts): 65
    Connected: Yes
    Charging: No


    So I assume I fried the charging circuitry somehow. Anyone have any ideas of what might need to be replaced? Thanks in advance.
     

Share This Page