GUN Shitty yet good Gun Review: Hi-Point 995 with the ATI stock.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by lugoismad, Apr 21, 2007.

1. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I've talked about this gun in the past. I'll defend it, and will quickly reply should somebody say "hi-points suck, they all blow up and blah blah blah blah"

Its not a BAD gun, its just not a great gun. I got mine for $150 last summer brand new. It came with 3 mags, some shitty mag thingy that goes on the stock to hold the extra mags, and the UGLIEST stock I had ever seen in my life. This thing would make baby jesus cry due to its ugliness. So I promptly replaced it for $50 with the ATI aftermarket stock.

This is what it looks like today:

[​IMG]

Pretty much a knockoff of the Beretta CX4 storm. If you've ever shot a CX-4, basically the 995 with this stock is exactly like it. Except with a 10 round magazine, a gritty trigger, and a gigantic bolt for a charging handle.

[​IMG]

Here it is broken down as far as you should. I've spoken with Hi-Point, and they say not to break it down past this part. The first time I shot it, I used brake parts cleaner (just like I do on my pistols) and it removed the finish on the reciever. I called hi-point and asked what to do. They said to ship it back and they would fix it. For free. I UPS'd it back to them, and 2 weeks later I had a brand new gun, with 2 extra mags. They said to never use a cleaner like that, and instead just use a bore brush, and oil it now and then. They said if it starts malfunctioning to just said to send it back in again.

[​IMG]

Here she is just a bit closer up. You can see its DEFINATELY not going to blow up in your face like alot of people claim. This is a rather beefy gun.

If you've ever seen a hipoint pistol, the carbine is EXACTLY the same. Its nothing but a pistol with a 16" barrel and a carbine stock.

[​IMG]

As you can see the whole thing works just like a pistol. The only difference is, this thing has a gigantic and ugly ass bolt for a charging handle.

[​IMG]

The plastic part works as a bolt hold open device as well.

The one problem with the ATI stock is that its not perfect. ATI isn't the best company for making things dead on. To put the gun in the stock, you need to use a rat-tail file to put the 2 bolts in that hold down the reciever cover. Other wise, this happens.

[​IMG]

One bends, and the other breaks. I still need to go to the hardware store, and get some replacements.

One last gripe.
    [​IMG]

The mags SUCK to load. Its practically painful, unless you have a 9mm mag loader.

Now, on to the good.

Its cheap. Its accurate. The sites I LOVE. Ghost ring sites are very quick to sight down. Its extremely comfortable to shoot. It has a hell of a warranty. And 9mm is a cheap round. 1000 for 100$ at my local gun shop. Due to the heavy action, even the 9mm round has almost no recoil. I'd compare it about to an AR-15. Its a very enjoyable gun to shoot. I usually let first time rifle shooters have at it, since my 10/22 is scoped and no where near as fun.

It also has no muzzle flash. I've shot it at night, and you can't see hardly any flash at all. Combined with the fact that the 9mm round out of such a long barrel has the same velocity of a .357, it would make a GREAT home defense weapon.

Would I trust my life to it? Yep. I have before. There was a street fight a few months ago outside my house, and this is what I grabbed.

I wouldn't take it to war, but to arm myself in a burglary, or something like that, it works great.

I just wanted to clear up any stupid gossip people have heard about HiPoints. They're great guns for a low price.

2. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Hi-point makes some ugly ass shit but god damn do they have great customer service. If I ever see a good price on one of those I will pick it up, they are bound to get the looks right on their guns some day ;)

3. murph38_99

murph38_99 OG Silver Member

for 200 bucks it looks like a hell of a lot of fun been thinking of getting one but i cant find one around here.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Mmmmm paint :big grin:

Have you fed any jhp's through it, if so what weight and how well have they worked?

5. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

They are making a .45ACP version of their carbine now, and have been talking about changing the looks of the stock...stock.

6. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

I have the airsoft version of that gun :o

[​IMG]

7. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

nope, haven't used any JHPs, however Cheaper than dirt has some for as cheap as low end FMJs, and I plan on picking some up.

From what I've read on the hipoint forum, they feed just fine.

8. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

WTF is that? Is it the new crossman? I saw a site about it a few months ago.

9. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Crosman something...I'll look at it when I get downstairs.

10. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Crosman Nightstalker is what it's called.

11. reznor

reznor New Member

:cool: i have one too, stock stock though, i like it :dunno:

i'll probably pick up the 9mm or .45 pistol for my 21st b-day

my only complaint is the 10-round mags, with no aftermarket ones that work at all.

12. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I almost bought the 9mm pistol but it's a compact and I have big hands. The .40 isn't legal in CA though.

I keep hearing the good reviews but at least with the 9mm I really didn't like the way it felt in my hand, and the slide was soooo hard to pull back.

13. Basic

Basic OT Supporter

I almost picked one up but didnt because of the ugly ass stock 2 years ago

14. itchiban

itchiban New Member

Those have always looked kinda cool to me, but is there anything you can do about that trigger? It just looks cheap and uncomfortable.

15. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

a kid on the hi point forum cut 2 links off the spring and used a dremel with a fluffy bit to polish everything. The admin of the board deleted the thread and said he wasn't sure if this was safe of not. But the kid swore it made the trigger 100x better.

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

good old fluff and buff does wonders