SRS Shitty work situation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by blackbirdbeatle, Jan 20, 2010.

1. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Bureaucracy sucks.

I took a job at the beginning of December as a manager at a very well known company (After working for myself for a long time). I haven't been paid yet. 51 days. They are huge and have the money. Excuses have been made, affidavits have been signed, and after almost a month past the legal limit they are to pay me, I have to go through the employee rights board to get it. Which probably means that I'll have to quit before they find an excuse to fire me. I've tried to handle this internally whilst getting the run-around.

Even if they don't fire me, would you work for a company that abuses salary hours to the point of no life, thinks so little of you to not pay you a month after you are supposed to be paid, and then blames you for it (I won't get into it, suffice it to say it's hilariously bad)? It's all too surreal. The only reason why I'm still at this job is because it's easier to hound HR from the inside, the economy is bad still, I am waiting for my 2nd month pay period to end so the gov't can get it all at once, and I'll be royally screwing the people at my store when I leave. People that I like and who will have to work much harder to make up for my open position. I took a lot of work off of the people there. Plus, there is no assistant manager.

The HR people that are screwing me don't work in our store. I thought about staying on for a month or so while they hire and train a new person but I don't plan on putting this job on my resume and I feel violated by staying here (I don't require legal notice until 3 months). As if it's validating what HR are doing.

I've had to cash in an investment early and took a hit in order to pay Christmas bills. I also won't get any interest earned on the money they kept from me, however little. By all accounts I shouldn't think twice about leaving, and once the gov't steps in tomorrow, I won't have to be there to get my money. Yet, I feel terrible for leaving my coworkers in such a bad place. It's making me sick at night. I don't live in the biggest city and I'll probably run into them in the future. I understand that I can't help it if they don't get why I had to leave but I hate being in a situation where I'll have to defend myself.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its a hard life lesson to learn that you shouldn't allow to let other people walk over you. (even if its family)

But in your case its all about going thru the right 'channels', When you are at a dead end, the only thing you can do is turn back and try another road.

Here's what you do. (don't go thru the employee board) why not? Simply because you have to understand that other people 'arent' interested in you. They only care about arranging their own life, meaning you can't get anything out of it. If you want to get 'anything done in life' you'll have to do it yourself' <- truth. Why , because no one can live your life for you, this is why you have to become the dictator of your own life and get things done.

Request a 10 min conversation with "THE BOSS", the highest possible boss you can find. On entering you say , listen i love working in (firm company) and i'll do anything in my power to make this company a succes, but i have a problem, i haven't been paid yet, and i want to know why? Is there something wrong with the financial department, haven't i been registered, what's up? ( then tell him how you took a big financial hit during the christmas) and explain him that this is the reason why this situation needs to be resolved as quickly as possible. Complain that you don't understand why registered workers aren't getting paid.

Even if you get fired its ok, thing is people try to keep you on their fishing rods for as long as possible, and worst of worst people always try to see if they can walk over you you've gotta show them that's NOT the case!

3. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

Your best bet is to find the highest boss and try to talk to him nicely but be stern. Get him into a fuss about it and see if he does anything. Now if he doesn't then I think its time to get a lawer and sue them. You've worked hard and had to get money from other places to keep up with bills. I think the time of playing fair and trying to be nice is about over. One last try with the highest up you can find and after that fuck em and screw them over as hard as possible.

4. teo

teo . => ? => !

Your co-workers were there before you and they'll be there after you leave. They choose to stay there. That you are not is not something anyone in their right mind would hold against you.

Your employers are grade-A asshats. Have the gov't bend them over and have at 'er. No sympathy for them at all. Not paying wages is not acceptable.

If you really want to stick it to them, hit them where it hurts - the wallet. Collect contact information for the co-workers you consider to be good employees. Encourage them to jump ship when you get your next job (assuming you can hire). For every trained, efficient employee they lose they will have to hire and retrain someone else. That costs time and money.

No, and I'd lawyer up for punitive damages.

5. blackbirdbeatle

I realise that I have to come first in life and I do feel embarassed that I naively trusted the company to do the right thing as I went through the channels internally. As a previous employer I was precise in following the law and paying my employees what they earned. When I made a mistake and they called me on it I resolved it immediately.

If I do talk to the higher ups (The person to talk to is 200 miles away though) it's not with the expectation that my situation will get better, it's to let them know face-to-face what piles of shit they are (Without actually yelling but by presenting the situation in a calm but stern manner). My boss, her boss, and her boss' boss all know about my situation. Two of them are HR professionals and one is the financial vice president for our region. They know what they are doing is illegal, they knew for a long time that stringing me along with affidavits was illegal, and if they wanted to pay me, they could have. The excuses have come from all levels.

Would a letter addressed to even higher ups from the company work better? I can get in contact with the president and he will receive my letter. I'll have my money by then but I want him to know what is happening.

And despite the large amount of documentation against them, I won't be taking them to court. They will string me along for a period far past my budget. So I am going through the gov't because they come in and assess what the company owes me. Then they take it. Unfortunately I have to try and get all the costs but my salary (Including the investment hit, the interest they have kept, etc...) on my own.

6. blackbirdbeatle

Oh, and should I send a letter of resignation? Or is quitting in person enough?

7. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

just tell them you're quitting and walk out. Doesn't sound like you're going to be using them for references anyways.

And honestly...if I hadnt been paid in that long, I would not be going back to the job.

So what if they fire you? You are entitled to that money regardless.

8. blackbirdbeatle

Heh, the company is now on a gov't watch list for 2 years because of me. I just escalated the claim today. I also got the address and email of the president (Well, his secretary) and I'm going to be sending him off something tonight. I'll post his answer when I hear back (He is notoriously good for answering current/former employees correspondence if you can get a hold of him. About the only thing he's good at). In the meantime, I'm still dealing with the regional yahoos.

9. huskerfoos

huskerfoos New Member

I am not sure where you live, but here in MS, when you let the media know what's happening, people actually do what they are supose to. That's a thought. I would be ay passed the bieng nice.

10. ldaggerl

ldaggerl New Member

I'd send a letter (a polite but stern letter) to the president of the comany. If he gets back to you and gives you the run around or doesn't help then the next letter you send him should be giving him the court date to appear because your now sueing the entire company. I'd suggest you get the letter notarized and such to make sure everything is legit. Send emails and BCC yourself on another email as they are without a doubt evidence. Emails can be followed very easily and most companies have to keep a record of them. Cover your ass and when the highest up doesn't help you go outside the company and fuck them over hardcore. Your doing it for more than yourself because if you think you are the first or last person they have done this to you'll be sorely mistaken.