Shitty Dynex WiFi Card v.reinstalling the driver after every reboot

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, May 18, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My brother's wifi card died, so my dad bought him a Dynex card to replace it. (he did not ask me before doing this -- he asked the price tags instead.) The damned thing gets re-detected every time the computer boots up, and it demands that the driver be reinstalled. Needless to say, this is frustrating. Also needless to say, they won't take it back and buy a good card, so that option is off the table for discussion's sake.

Guess who gets to fix it? :squint:

I've banged my head against the wall enough for one week. Does anybody know of any problems with Windows that would cause it to forget about hardware that has already been properly installed? Maybe something about the driver not really getting copied to the \system32 folder, or wherever the hell it's supposed to go? Any ideas how to fix this problem? The card works fine on the rare occasion that the driver actually installs properly.

2. Chadder007

Chadder007 OG Diamond Member

Take card out, Uninstall drivers... Have the computer run a full scan of the hard drive to make sure there are no bad sectors or possible corruption that chkdsk can fix. Reinstall drivers and place card back in when it asks. Reboot and make sure it doesn't come up again.
    Anything else....then im not sure, but try that first. I had drivers installing to a bad sector on the hard drive before and it did something similar.

3. deusexaethera

Did all that already. The driver simply won't "stick".

If I wanted to manually copy and install the driver, to make sure that all of its pieces go where they're supposed to, where would I put the various files?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

dude, return that POS to where you bought it, get a name brand, call it a day

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

If they wont take it back, put up on Ebay or something and use the money from that to buy something else.

6. deusexaethera

I didn't ask if it was a POS, I didn't ask if I should get rid of it any way possible, I asked how to manually install a device driver.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Well, have you tried to manually install the driver?

When the machine reboots, does it ask for a driver? If so point it to the drivers on the CD that came with the card. Even if Windows thinks it has a better driver than you picked, you can force it to use it.

8. deusexaethera

(sighs, rubs temples)

Yes, I have tried to install the driver both using the "Install Automatically" and "Install from a Specified Location" options. I have tried installing the driver when the card is detected upon bootup, later from within Device Manager, and before I even plug the card in. In all cases, the result is the same: the card is re-detected the next time the computer starts up, and the computer claims to have no idea what driver it should use. That is what makes me think that the driver isn't getting copied onto the hard drive, but is only getting loaded into memory until the computer is shut off. Hence my question:

Where should I put the driver files if I want to manually copy the driver onto the hard drive prior to using it? I don't want to just put it in any folder, I want to put it in THE folder that Windows automatically checks when it needs a driver for something.