Shitty ass mechanics.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by <Mark>, Oct 27, 2009.

1. <Mark>

<Mark> A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut wit

So to start Ive got a foxbody mustang, and last winter the motor started to die so I elected to put a new one in. Ive got a friend who is a mechanic by trade at ups and does work on the side. That was my first mistake.
    I decided to let him do the work since Ive talked to him about the project numerous times and figured he knew what he was doing. Well as it turns out he didn't and I might have trashed a brand new shortblock. When he put the timing chain on and started it up and it bent all the valves and pushrods I should have taken it out of his place and sent it to another shop, but I had too much money tied up in the work he was doing to start over with another shop.

Fast forward to two weeks ago. He got the car back together, 6 MONTHS LATER, and I noticed an oil leak. That was the last straw. I took it to another shop to have them investigate and fix the leak. The engine should not have been leaking, it had 0 miles on it. As the new shop was fixing all the stuff that was put together wrong, they pulled the oil filter off to change it. Low and behold there is no oil pressure. The last shop sent it out the door without checking. The reason? The retaining ring that holds the oil pump shaft was not installed, instead it was fastened using silicone. When the heads were taken off the last time, and the distributor was removed they pulled the oil pump shaft out slightly and it wasn't turning the oil pump.

So now I have to have the new place completely tear down the brand new motor to see if any bearings were fucked up. On top of that, the other guy is trying to tell me I owe him $800 for the labor on the job he fucked up. Too bad he isn't getting shit. :rl::rl::rl::madfawk::madfawk::hammer:

:cliffs: shitty mechanic might have ruined a brand new shortblock by not putting things together right.

2. Capt. Hammer

Capt. Hammer PM me for rates on express consent. OT Supporter

If you want shit done right, you gotta do it yourself

3. <Mark>

If I had the time and resources to do it myself I would.

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

Wow.... and you said this guy is a mechanic by trade? That's just sad.

5. <Mark>

He does mainly chevy stuff, but thats not an excuse. I wouldn't let him even work on my weedeater now.

6. pathOFdisaster

pathOFdisaster Resident Ford Troll OT Supporter

Mechanic at UPS??

And you gave it to a Chevy guy....

just /yourself

7. BlazinBlazer Guy

Come on... a small block Ford isn't THAT different than a Chevy. The stuff he screwed up are mistakes even below-average mechanics should know better than to make.

8. matrix243

matrix243 My body, is ready.

chevy mechanic won't give a fuck about ford shit.

9. BlazinBlazer Guy

Money is money, regardless whose shit I'm turning the wrench on to earn it.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Man, that sucks. After fussing with shit endlessly on my VW, I can't tell you how glad I am to have an engine with three moving parts now. Nothing to mis-align.

Best of luck getting it sorted out.

11. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

you didnt have the car for 6 months, and you were willing to give him $800+ plus the cost of the new mechanic, AND the price of the short block

you could have bought all of the tools yourself to do the job and had a ton of money left over

12. Blown

Blown New Member

hell, basically all you needed was simple tools and a chilton or haynes book and a cheap engine stand. built my first motor by myself just following the instructions in the book earlier this year.