Shit, I broke it.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

Now it will not boot, even to bios.
    I wanted to put a couple small video files from my media center PC onto my ipod. Installed itunes and plugged in the USB cable and hooked up my ipod. I get the standard "discovering new devices" messages, everything seems normal. Then the whole computer shuts down. No error messages, no blue screen, nothing. I've never been great at troubleshooting hardware, but it seems like since I can't get bios and it doesn't sound like the hard drive is spinning up, probably my motherboard is toast.

No HD activity
    CPU fan spins
    Case fan spins
    None of the lights on the case turn on.

What should I be checking? How should I be checking it?

FWIW
    Mobo is DG865WH
    CPU is a Pentium D 2.8
    RAM is Corsair ValueSelect

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

open your case and visually inspect everything, specially the mobo and power supply.
    check all connections
    check for grounding issues, burns, anything broken, and crap like that.
    example:
    [​IMG]

if you don't find any,...
    reset CMOS
    install only the basic components (cpu, mobo, 1 stick of ram, vid card, power supply) then boot. see if the system will post

3. Gob

Checked all the connection and capacitors. Nothing looks bad, I can't see any burn marks or leaks. I don't get any of that "burned electronics" smell anywhere.
    Reset the CMOS. Took out all my cards + extra memory and optical drives.
    Still nothing? I don't get any any of the motherboard error beep codes. In fact I don't get any beeps at all.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Well,... how far do you want to test?

A mobo will not post if it has a bad cpu, bad ram, mobo's dead, or a bad power supply.

I would rebuild the bare components outside the case as a last resort then troubleshoot.

Place mobo on top of an anti-static bag or cardboard, then you could:
    Re-seat or try a different cpu, if you have any
    try a different slot for the ram, or try other ram
    try a different power supply

if none of those work,.. only then you could confirm that it is a dead mobo.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

A couple of questions...

Did you ever have that usb cable plugged into that port before, or is this a new cable?

Have you ever had any usb cable plugged into that port before?

Was this a rear panel usb port, or a front panel port?

If it's a front panel port, try disconnecting the front panel usb header wire from the motherboard and see if it will boot up that way.

Also, you said it doesn't sound like the hard drive is spinning up.

But that can be deceptive.

Make absolutely sure it's not spinning up. If it is, it could be a graphics issue.

I will say that it does sound like the motherboard, and I'm wondering about a possible short from a bad usb cable or connector.

I've had that happen, and was lucky that it only took out the usb connectors.
    Which was fixed by an adapter card.

6. Gob

It was the USB panel on the front of the case. Actually, now that I think about it, it was the first time I'd ever used it at all. The USB cable/ipod had been used on other computers but never this one.

I did try to boot with the USB wires disconnected, both using the mobo VGA as well as with the graphics card. Neither are working.

With the case doors off I can usually hear the HD being accessed at bootup, but I'll try turning the processor fan down so I can hear a little better. Neither of the lights on the front of the case are lighting up at all.

7. Gob

I've got four sticks of RAM, 2x1gb and 2x512mb, I've tried various combinations and the results have all been the same.
    I don't have another LGA775 socket cpu.
    I did reseat the CPU/heatsink, no change in results.
    I'm not sure if I have an extra powersupply at work, but I'll check tomorrow and see what I can dig up.

Thanks for the help guys, I'd really like to find out if its the motherboard or not, that way at least I know how much it'll cost to fix. I didn't realize how much I used this thing until it went out of commission.

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Do you have another power supply around to test? Or another desktop to temporarily steal the PSU from for testing?

9. Gob

I'm checking to see if I have a spare at work today, but I might be able to rob the one out of my Sony desktop (it does have some weird proprietary stuff in it, I know when its PSU went I had to order one directly from sony, a regular PSU wouldn't fit)

10. Gob

Ok, I tried a different power supply, and given that I've got four sticks of RAM that I've tried I think I can rule out those components being bad.

So now I'm left with either a bad mobo or CPU right? Looks like I'll have to order something to find out whats bad. My first guess was that the MOBO was screwed, so unless you guys know of some other way for me to test it, I guess I'll order a new one and see what happens.:hsd:

Recommendations on a new mobo? I need at least one PCIx16 port and three standard PCI ports. 6 Sata ports would be nice, and I'm using Corsair Valueselect DDR2 800 RAM. I know you have to pay for quality, but I'm broke as fuck and would like to stay under $150 if possible. ASUS? Another Intel board?

11. Doc Brown

I didn't notice if you had ruled out the hard drive yet, but I would do that before I went through the trouble of swapping out the mobo.

This Intel board has everything including firewire for $108 shipped, and can handle your Pentium D.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121314

12. Gob

Wouldn't I get to a BIOS screen with a bad HD? Maybe I'm thinking wrong here, but I thought you'd get a BIOS without even having a HD attached won't you?

Thanks for the board recommendation, I was actually looking at it earlier, it'll probably be the one I end up getting.

13. Doc Brown

Yeah, you're right. You would.

I haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

:o

14. Gob

:wiggle:

I'll probably order that board after I get paid this week. Hopefully that takes care of the problem and I can set to the task of reinstalling everything...

15. Gob

Well, I'm bumping my own thread. I finally ordered and installed the new Motherboard. Still won't post BIOS. I'm starting to get a little frustrated.

After installing the new motherboard, I hit the power button. The CPU fan spins up, but neither of the case fans attached to the mobo are spinning. Again, I tried each stick of RAM individually. No difference. The only card I have installed is my video card.

Is it a pretty safe bet at this point that the only thing left is the Processor?

16. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yes,... well, unless that new mobo you bought is also dead.

17. Doc Brown

I'm wondering if the case fans hadn't maybe died prior to the whole problem and you had just never noticed?

It seems odd that you would get another motherboard that has the same problems as the old one did.

Can you verify that the video card is good on another machine?

Also, do you have the front panel usb connector cable plugged into the motherboard?

Try disconnecting it and see if it makes a difference.

What about the other psu you tried. Was it out of a working system?

18. Gob

I actually had two 120mm fans, and a 80mm. All were in working order before the machine died. The 120 on the Thermalright CPU cooler flips on, but neither of the case fans are spinning. I'll hook them up directly to the PSU to test. If the PSU went south, how would any of the fans spin up at all?

I don't have a machine to plug the video card into here, but the old mobo had onboard video and I didn't get anything out of that either.

The front panel USB cables I left unplugged. I haven't even hooked up the DVD drives, sound card, or the wireless card. I pretty much only connected the bare minimum to try and get it to boot to BIOS.

19. Doc Brown

Hmmm. Can you try a different monitor? How about the monitor cable.
    It's best to eliminate as many possibilities as you can.

As far as the motherboard goes, did you rma the old board, or was this a new purchase? If you rma'd the old one you could have got the same one back.

As far as the psu goes, all sorts of things can be happening if it's dead or dying.

20. Gob

I've tried two different monitors, both worked before and after the test on other machines.

Motherboard was not RMA'd. My old mobo is an Intel DG965WH, new mobo is a Intel BOXDP35DPM.

I just attached the two case fans to directly to the PSU, both are in good working order. It seems odd that the mobo allows the CPU fan to spin up but not the case fans. Does it need some signal from the processor to allow electricity to be routed through the board? (Talking out my ass here, I really don't know much about the specifics of how motherboards work)

21. Doc Brown

And you're still not getting any beep codes?

When you press the power on button, does the cpu fan continue to run as if it were going to boot up?
    Do you have any hard drive activity yet that you can hear?

22. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

he shouldn't be connecting any drives, expansion cards, case fans or whatever else besides:

mobo
    cpu w/ heatsink/cooler plugged to CPU fan header
    1 stick of ram
    vid card (or onboard video) hooked up to monitor
    power supply connections:
    1. 24-pin main connector
    2. 4-pin cpu power connector
    3. pci-e connector if needed by vid card.

op,... if anything else other than those I mentioned above is hooked up,... removed it.
    you should also be doing this outside the case to cross out any grounding issues.

there is a 5+V Standby power indicator LED somewhere between the RAM slots and the 24-pin main power connector. Does this light on when you power on the system? if yes,... you mobo is getting power, it's just not posting.

the board has a built-in speaker. do you hear any beeps?

make sure that the 24-pin main power connector and 4-pin cpu power connector are plugged correctly.

check the cpu for any bent pins.

try a different cpu.

23. Gob

Doc Brown -
    No, I get no beep codes. I can hear the HD spin up when its connected. (I only hooked it up to make sure I could hear it working. I've also put it in an external enclosure to transfer some of the data off in case I end up fucking it up somehow. But it does work.) FWIW Neither the HDD or Power LEDS on the front of the case light up at when I turn it on. And yes, the CPU fan continues to run as if the machine were in operation

Doomsday -
    I've got nothing attached to the mobo except for CPU/Heatsink/Fan, RAM and video card. 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors are attached. I will go double check them though.
    Yes the Standby indicator LED is on.
    No Beeps.

24. Doc Brown

If the HDD LED's are not lighting up, but you can hear the hard drive spool up, then you might have the front panel wires improperly connected to the motherboard.

Did you try to clear the cmos on the new motherboard yet?

Oh, and you asked earlier about what controls what. The BIOS controls the motherboard, not the cpu.

First thing I would do is make sure your front panel wires are attached in the right places.
    Especially the speaker, since you want to hear any beep codes there might be.

25. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

yeah, forget about the case fans, hdds, etc.
    focus on why the mobo won't post.

i don't think it's your power supply.

RAM should be easy enough to troubleshoot, just use different sticks that are known to be working. also try placing a stick to slot 3 (or 4, read your manual) instead of slot 1.

vid card should have no effect. even without a display, you could tell the mobo is posting through the beeps from the built-in pc speaker.

only thing left is the mobo and cpu.

having the mobo outside the case will rule out any grounding issues. if you don't want to do that, make sure the studs are installed properly, make sure there is no direct contact to the mobo tray, etc.

the cpu is probably the main culprit here. a single bent pin won't let you boot, so check them out.

other than those,... there's really not much you can do but try out a different cpu,... or another mobo.