MIL Shipping out to Great Lakes 20090303

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CDQ109, Oct 6, 2008.

1. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

Gonna be in for 6 yrs. I'll be 27 by the time I get out! :noes:

Hopefully I'll enjoy it. Signed up for STG...was wavering about going over to HM but I'm just gonna stick w/ STG. I guess that means I better make sure I get my BA/BS while I'm in otherwise I'm not gonna have a job when I get out :dunno:

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

so are you actually gong to go to a university during your enlistment or does the airforce provide the degree at one of their bases ?

3. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

I didn't realize sonar tech was a difficult job to get :dunno:

I scored well on my ASVAB I guess that is what did it.

I feel so dumb now. At the time I went to MEPS (July 30) they had two different time slots open for STG-AEF. One left on October 30th and the other was March 3rd. I was planning on doing some stuff in the upcoming months so I picked March. Now I'm not doing anything and struggling to get a job so I can just wait out the 5 months I have left. :uh:

4. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

And ya, like the man said. I'm goin Navy.

I'm probably going to get most of my credits from Dantes, AFLOAT and TAPs (?). Which are all programs you can do while you're on the boat out at sea. Also, when I'm on shore duty go to whatever college is around. I already have 58 semester credits and that's basically all my general ed, so now I just have to pick my major and go for it. :x:

5. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

Dude, you're comparing IS to ND. Navy Diver is Special Operations. That school is on the same tier (although not quite as high) as BUD/S (SEAL), and EOD. Extremely physically, mentally, and academically demanding.

IS is a fleet rate. It's just not comparable lol didn't seem like you realize that. ND, SO, SB, and EOD are always going to be WIDE FUCKING OPEN because they have so few people...and for a reason. It's not something you just look at on the internet one day and be like hmm...yeah that sounds good I'm gonna do that. It's on a whole different level.

6. flytojungho

flytojungho ...

though they are an option, it was VERY difficult for me to attend school or take classes while being deployed on the ship. Majority of the time, you're so damn tired, going to class is the last thing on your mind.

7. August Burns

August Burns New Member

great lakes isn't far from me, good luck

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

youre going to hate ship life more than likely, and its highly doubtful you will dedicate enough of the little offtime you will get to getting a degree while enlisted....however, you still get the GI bill and you might get the chance to do some cool shit and meet alot of good people

good luck!

9. CDQ109

CDQ109 OT Supporter

:wtc: This is frustrating to hear. I'm going to stay naively hopeful tho. Others have done it before me, so there is still a chance. I already have 2 years done so I only need 2 more years and I'm going to have 6 years to do it (I know technically less because I have nearly 2 yrs of A an C school, but I will probably get some transferrable credits from that). And If I don't get it completely done, like you said, I still have the GI bill.

10. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

it is POSSIBLE to get a degree, and it is POSSIBLE that you get sent to a shore type billet first and have more time to go to a real college...other than that, youre going to be doing mostly distance courses and online stuff, like university of phoenix. And it takes alot of dedication just to get those done...oh and those online colleges will transfer you a TON of credits for your bootcamp, a, and c schools. but real colleges wont accept them