GUN Shipping a hand gun...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by imperial, Jan 28, 2009.

1. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

I'm ready to send my CZ off for some work and I have never shipped a firearm before. From what I have gathered I can ship it to the FFL overnight via FedEx without issue, correct? Is there xfer paperwork or any BS that occurs with this process?

Same for on the way back, I will need to have it shipped back to my FFL in town correct?

Thanks in advance.

2. imperial

imperial Lurker | Gun | STI Crew OT Supporter

The guy doing the work is not an FFL so he will have to ship it back to mine, correct? That is the part I am a little confused on. Seems all the info I find is so old that I don't know if I just don't trust it or what haha.

3. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While there is no law IIRC on how a firearm must be shipped the shipping companies themselves have guidelines for shipping firearms. UPSP will not ship a firearm if it is declared a firearm. UPS and Fedex will but it must be declared a firearm, and shipped next day air early AM delivery (their most expensive service.

While I do not endore doing so for liability reasons many people ship firearms regular ground shipping or the less expensive air services and do not declare the item as a firearm. Insure the item as machine parts for $300 value (less than $10). Now the package is declared a "high value". When the package gets to the facility it is locked in a high value cage until the sort. During the sort a clerk walks the item to the plane or truck and watches it as it's loaded. When the vehicle makes the next leg a clerk watches it unload and walks it to a HV cage or to the next loading. Basicly a clerk is responsible for each leg of the journey so there is zero chance of the item becoming damaged or stolen without somebody knowing about it right of way. The package also does not go through regular sort where all kinds of bad stuff can happen

i was a nda supervisor at ups during college

4. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

:)

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

This, gunsmiths virtually have to have an ffl. If he didn't have one shipping your gun to him wouldn't be legal.