GUN Shipping a firearm back to the mfg. : My story

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

So my dad bought a Ruger MarkIII Saturday for basic fun .22 shooting. He stripped it down, oiled it, put it back together and checked the functionality. Everything was good. Well he got it to the range, and on the 25th round, after the spent casing was expelled, the bolt seized halfway through it's travel in the frame and the gun was inop. He called me and asked if I could take a look at it, so I went over there and gave it a once over. I came to the same conclusion he did, that it was broken and needed to be sent back.

Fast forward to today. He has it packed up and ready to ship. I check on FedEX's site to make sure I am complying with all regulations before I go out, and I am. I get to the FedEX location, and talk to the gentleman behind the counter. He looks over the box and asks for my ID. I hand it to him, and he asks,"Where is your adult ID". I give him a :ugh: face, and tell him that is my legal Texas Drivers License. He says it has the words "Under 21 Drivers License" on it, and the ATFE won't accept that. I once again gave him a :ugh: face, and he went and called the ATFE. After they conversed for about 3-4 minutes, he said that I was indeed a minor in the eyes of the ATFE, and I would be unable to ship it back. I politely said "thank you" and walked out.

I've gone through concealed handgun training and obtained a license in the state of Texas. I've bought firearms before. I've taken a loan out on a car. I've bought alcohol. In all these times, my drivers license has never caused a single problem. I am 23, and it clearly says I was born in 1984 on the license. Regardless of all prior success using my license, I am still a child in the eyes of the ATFE. This leaves me with nothing to do but go :wtf:

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

There is nothing here that's ATF related, your fedex guy is a tard (assuming you're at a hub and not a little store, then its justified retardation). Speak to his manager or next time you go to ship a gun just keep quiet about whats in the box.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A lot of places are like that, I work the door at a bar and technically we aren't suppose to accept IDs that say "Under 21" on them, regardless of the persons actual age. We obviously don't give two shit about that but I've heard of people getting turned down at chain gas stations for having Under 21 IDs.

4. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

It sucks that it had to be shipped back at all. I have a Ruger Mark I standard that I got from my grandfather a few years back. He bought it used at a pawn shop in 1954 (I have the original box and receipt). My aunts, uncle, and my father shot it more times than anyone knows when they were children, and it still works amazingly well. I can hit spent shotgun casings at 15 yards with it, it is very accurate. I can't believe this one had a problem in less than a box of ammo, their quality control seems like it has slipped.

5. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

I don't knwo why he is sending it back, the shop you got it from should. I had a probalem with one of my colts and I took it back to frank and he said I'll ship it back to them on monday no worries and out it went. I didn't have to pay a thing and I got it back 4 weeks later.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Ruger is refunding him his shipping costs. If he had gone in there and done it himself, it wouldn't have been a problem. I just think it is stupid that my ID was the reason why I couldn't ship it. Everything else was in order.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

You can only expect so much from a low wage counter attendant who probably has been raised to fear guns anyway. Try again tomorrow and don't tell them whats inside.

8. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

when I had to ship my AK parts kit out, the guy at USPS was good about it, I just told him what it was and he basically just had to go off a check list to confirm that it was safe to ship in its current state (no ammo, no handguns, etc) :dunno:

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Why would you even have to tell him what it was?

10. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

you have to tell them if you are shipping firearms parts. Don't know why, but you do :dunno:

11. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Why do you think that?

12. Furner

Furner New Member

just keep your mouth shut and ship it ground with adult signature.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

same reason you have to declare if you're putting a firearm in checked luggage at the airport?

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You dont have to declare parts, full gun or a reciever you are suppose to though, parts, kits, if they ask I always tell them I'm shipping machine parts.

15. Keesh

Keesh New Member

So if you mail someone a gas piston or a trigger group you have to notify them?

That's not how it works, just box it up and put it in the mail. Unless it's a firearm receiver, its none of their business what's in the box...unless you are trying to send it as media mail :joshers:

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well he sent a full firearm. It's pretty difficult to say it wasn't a firearm when it was.

17. Furner

Furner New Member

just dont say anything........

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i think they have it posted that you must declare a firearm. It's a private company, they can place those restrictions if they want. You don't have to use them to ship.

19. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

That's the most retarded thing I've heard today. The under 21 warning is simply a flag for people carding you that the ID was issued when you were under 21. If he actually spoke with the ATF, which I doubt since you said he was only on the phone 4 minutes, they're an even bigger waste of government spending than I'd previously thought.

20. Furner

Furner New Member

still, if you keep your mouth shut, there will be no problems.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Alright break the company's rules, the fedex guy isn't going to catch you and spank you.

The law is that if you're mailing a firearms to anyone other than a FFL (manufacturer, dealer, gunsmith) that you have to notify the carrier. If you're returning the gun to the manufacturer for repairs you have no legal obligation to tell them anything. You might be breaking company policies so if you need to make an insurance claim it might be a problem, but if the gun is missing and you need to make an insurance claim how do you prove that your box of machine parts was really a gun...

22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Only reason I'd hesitate to do that is if it gets lost in transit, how do you report it and claim the loss to Fedex?

23. Keesh

Keesh New Member

That's the only risk you'd take. You could claim it to be $400 worth of machine parts but if they lost it, not much they could do against proving it wasn't.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

unless they find it... Then it's insurance fraud. No thanks. I'll declare it properly.

25. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

when i checked into shipping handguns, they required overnight service (i cant remember if it was fedex or ups.. i THINK ups..)

saving $100 on shipping doesn't outweigh the risk if it was lost...