shipping a computer

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bagsic, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Bagsic

Bagsic New Member

I'll be needing to ship my computer (desktop tower) across the country and I was wondering if anyone had experience with this? I was thinking of removing all the parts and wrap them up. Or just filling up the computer with the peanut foam stuff and wrap up the computer. Any advice would be great! Thanks

2. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

Most of it should be fine, Everything is securely bolted in place in a tower anyway except any PCI/graphics cards, which I would take out.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

dell and hp and all the rest ship thousands of desktops everyday. if you have a giant video card I would remove it, but otherwise as long as the box that its in is secure with foam or peanuts you should be good

4. asdfbunk

asdfbunk A Member OT Supporter

To be fair in OEM computers everything is bolted down more than usual :mamoru:

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Tell that to Dell who manages to ship us with CPU's and memory falling out :rolleyes:

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If you have a big heatsink, especially if it's attached to the CPU socket (as opposed to a frame surrounding the CPU, like on a Pentium 4), then I would take it off. You can't assume the box won't get knocked around, or that it will remain right-side up the whole time it's in shipment. The last thing you want is to plug in the computer and find out the motherboard is cracked or the CPU socket is detached because of a good whack that caused the heatsink to sway too far.

7. I ship/receive computers every day at work and #1 problem is the motherboards cracking during shipment....so just beware.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

See? See? Told you. :p

9. Bagsic

Bagsic New Member

thanks for the help guys. i guess i'll just take out the graphics and the heat sink.