shin splints

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by BrownWalrus, Jan 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

just tried running today for the first time in over a year and my right shin was on FIRE after about 6 minutes..could only go for another 3 before i had to call it quits, it was unbearable. strange thing is, it started with some weird somewhat painfull feeling in my calf, then it went to my shin.

ive done some research and it basically comes down to me not ever streatching or working the muscle, and im supposed to ice it a lot

however, i was hoping to get some more specifc information from some of you who have ran into this trouble and have found the perfect way of countering it..is there some stretching exercises that worked best for you?

2. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

3. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

thanks man. yea those shoes look good ill probably get them :)

my main problem is there really is no dirt road where i live, its all concrete lol...plus, i simply prefer to run on a treadmill, at least for now.

heres my biggest question, what do you personally do in terms of stretching/exercizing your calves/shins, any specifics? also, do you use any special technique when running? i know it sounds stuipd but i was reading up on shin splints on wikepidea and they said a lot of runners use some kind of heel strike running style..

Sprinting is performed on the toes, as is some middle-distance running. In most middle to long-distance running, striking with the heel, rolling through the foot and pushing off the ball is the most efficient. Competitive runners vary in styles, but as distance increases, more runners tend towards striking with the heel or mid-foot as the natural gait of the body - most marathoners can be seen to strike with the heel.[5] Striking solely with the forefoot over distance focuses stress on the calves and underuses the hamstrings. Moreover in preventing shin-splints, heel-striking offers the best shock absorption and natural form, reducing impact stress on the calf and shin muscles.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

bottom of page has more on this if you're interested..btw thanks again for helping me out

4. BrownWalrus

BrownWalrus New Member

thanks man :bigthumb:

yea i guess it was to be expected for the first day..makes sense. alright i'll follow all the advice you gave me and just really try to focus more on stretching and and getting back into it

5. Hood Moses

Hood Moses I part the Black Seas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.