Shin splints: How long until I can run again

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by PPI Typhoon, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

So I have been running over the past two months and in the last couple weeks, I've developed shin splints :wtc:

I've found it to be the best for me when it comes to burning calories. I even actually kind of miss running :noes:

Anyone know a safe time to take off from running. I'm anxious to get started again. :x:

2. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

shin splints are the result of a problem. there are multiple things that could be wrong. tight calves, improper footwear causing over/under pronation, simply over/under pronating naturally, etc etc.

you need to find your problem and address it. for me it was tight calves, and weak .... i dunno. muscle that dorsiflexes your foot.

addressing those two problems as well as contrast showers every other night (or whenever i ran), helped a shitload.

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I've posted this a few times, so I don't feel like typing it again... gimme 2 seconds and i'll copy/paste

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

you can run through shin splints. best thing you can do is buy new running shoes.

from a previous thread:
    Best thing to do is buy new shoes - with good arch support. It may not look like it, but chances are the shoes you are using now are done.

-new shoes
    -ice after work outs
    -ibuprofin after workouts
    -stretch

Take a few of the smaller paper dixie cups and fill them 3/4 full of water and freeze them. Now when you are done with a good workout you can peel back the paper and ice your shins. it works better than a bag of ice. you can literally massage the area with the ice in the cup.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Your shoes may seem new or look new, but if you have been continually running in them for a prolonged period, the arches are probably destroyed. Buy some new running shoes with good arch support. I knew a few distance runners that replace their shoes every 3-4 months.

start working on your calf strength, too.

This is a pretty badass resource:
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/shin-splints.htm

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

i wouldn't suggest running through them. at least in the sense of "walk it off".

lower your mileage, start doing both preventative and treatment regimens, and ease back into your routine.

6. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Thanks, I appreciate it. I went and got some of the Nike Pegasus running shoes. I admit the shoes I started with were not even close to running shoes. I imagine the problem started with that and I just need to take my rest to heal up.

Thanks! :bowdown:

7. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Yeah I tried running through them and the pain afterwards was incredible. :wtc: It's fine while I am running, but afterwards, it is just plain pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.