Shin splints developed about 3-4 months ago

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chizzle, Sep 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chizzle

chizzle New Member

On my right shin. Never went away even after I took a month off from running. Now I feel them developing in my left shin.

I've been trying to do reverse calf raises, but it's a very awkward motion (i feel like i'm gonna fall off the rise when i come down) and it doesn't seem to be helping at all.

Any suggestions?

2. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Oh, and I'm thinking about going for a run in 10 minutes...I'm gonna be hurting for the first 5 minutes :hs:

I think I'm fucking myself over by running with shin splints in both legs...

3. sinthetiq

sinthetiq Anteater Member

wear proper running shoes (for you)? stretch/warmup/walk on your heels?

4. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I bought a good pair of running shoes (at least I thought, Puma Theron) after I developed the shin splints on my right leg. I always stretch and warmup. Guess I'll try walking on heels.

I'll look like in idiot walking across campus on my heels :mamoru:

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

as i've said in all the other threads you've made about this

elevation, compression, motrin, ice

6. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

What worked for me was running on a treadmill for a couple of months.

Its borring as hell, but its low impact and easy on your legs. After I did that for a while I havent had a problem with them since, and before I would get them allot.

7. vintage82

vintage82 we fuck you

I used to get shin splints like a bitch, but I later found out I was over-pronating when I ran. I bought a pair of shoes (NB) designed for over-pronators that limit motion and I haven't had a single splint since. Now running is ruining the body part it is SUPPOSED to ruin - my knees. :o

8. chizzle

chizzle New Member

:hs: I've been doing the ice part and I've been massaging the shins after I run...dunno if that's enough compression. No real elevation though.

I'll pass on the pain killers.

9. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Treadmill != low impact

The first time I felt pain in my right shin was during the period of time where I just ran on treadmills, not outside like I am doing now.

10. General Dissary

General Dissary New Member

Mmmm.. Thats weird. Do you run flat footed or something? Might have to do with your form or something, cause that is kinda odd.

11. Bruticus

Bruticus half dead OT Supporter

My treadmill hurts me more than running on concrete. I think it is because it isn't 100% solid and so it moves a bit when I land, so it shakes up my ankles and legs, which brings pain.

Running outside with proper shoes I've never had a problem with.

12. edd91

edd91 rebmeM weN

It says compression, not massage, massage and ice just contradict each other

13. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

A lot of general shin pain can be traced back to tight calf muscles, you should be stretching the shit out of them before a run. I've done that and never had a problem.

14. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

I agree with that. I developed my worst shin splints when running exclusively on a treadmill. Locking yourself into bad form is much easier on a treadmill because there is nothing varying your speed or stride (such as hills). I run far more outside than I ever did on the treadmill, and I haven't had shin splints since running exclusively outside.

15. realest00

realest00 New Member

Did you get good running shoes that are properly fitted and selected for your running style?

I also had the same problem - debilitating shin splits. At first I ignored it because I hadn't been running in a long while and I thought calf exercises would solve the problem. However, a couple months later, running 3x a week, I still had shin splint problems.

I went to a specialty shoe store who correctly measured my feet and also analyzed my running/walking style. I found out I step with excessive overprotanation and flattening of the arch. They brought out some shoes for me to try in order to correct that, and I walked out that day with shoes that were properly fitted for me as well as corrective.

I later went back to buy some insoles for my cleats, because I still had problems when running in cleats.

As of now, I have no problems with shin splints. Visit a running specialty store and have them evaluate your feet. You may have an anatomic problem, and continuing to run on splints may lead to bigger problems.

16. realest00

realest00 New Member

I was answering the original threadstarter. No idea what could be causing yours.

17. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I started doing reverse calf raises and the splints are pretty much gone. I seriously recommend them for anybody who runs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.