GUN Sheriff begins taking away concealed weapons permits

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Oct 10, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thursday, October 9, 2008
    Sheriff begins taking away concealed weapons permits
    Hundreds of letters have been sent out advising current permit holders of impending revocation.
    http://www.ocregister.com/articles/permits-carona-concealed-2186181-county-department

[​IMG]
    Sheriff Cunty McCunterson answers questions about concealed weapons permits Tuesday before the Board of Supervisors.

The Sheriff's Department has begun the process of revoking hundreds of concealed weapon permits across Orange County.

This week, department officials confirmed that 146 letters have been sent out advising current license holders that their permits to carry firearms in public – called CCWs – are being revoked. There are currently 1,024 permit holders.

"The Department has determined that your identified risk does not meet the good cause threshold as required under the new CCW policy based upon the information you provided. As a result of this determination, the Department's present intention is to revoke your CCW license," reads the form letter sent out this month.

The letter, sent out under the signature of Captain Dave Nighswonger, advises current holders that if they feel that additional information should be considered they have roughly one month to provide additional good cause information for the department to consider before the revocation becomes final.

This week, county supervisors grilled Sheriff Sandra Hutchens during her 120-day update on the reorganization of the agency about the status of the concealed weapons review.

Hutchens acknowledged to supervisors that she had indeed tightened requirements for the permits but highlighted the fact that no current license had yet been revoked.

But it seems unlikely that those who are getting the letters won't be revoked.

"Most of them are not coming back with the information we need," said Nighswonger. "A lot of them are arguing the second amendment (to the U.S. Constitution)," he said.

Nighswonger said many of the current revocations listed their reason for having a concealed gun as "avid shooter."

That no longer qualifies under Hutchen's new standards.

Under state law, a Sheriff has discretion to issue concealed weapons permits. And under the administration of former Sheriff Mike Carona – whose federal corruption trial starts on Oct. 28 – guidelines for issuing concealed weapons permits were loosened.

Records reviewed by the Orange County Register show that concealed weapon permits soared under Carona, from 38 in 1998 to 468 the next year. By 2006, it was up to 1,400, a four-fold increase.

When Carona took over in 1998, Orange County ranked 34th in terms of the numbers of permits granted. By 2006, Orange County was ranked number nine.

However, the Register also found numerous instances where campaign donors received the permits. A Register analysis of Carona campaign contributions from 1996 to the end of 2001 shows that at least 95 contributors – who gave at least $68,000 - got licenses.

Indeed, the federal indictment against Carona details one specific instance where a wealthy contributor was granted a license under questionable circumstances.

Hutchens has said that connection prompted her to review the policies and tighten the standards.

Her revisions, and the revocation letters, have enraged gun activists who are pressing county supervisors to take action.

"There's a lot of business owners and a lot of gun owners that have had CCWs that have never met Mike Carona or contributed," said Greg Block, a Huntington Beach-based firearms instructor and activist.

He and many activists suggest a different standard: "If you are not a convicted felon, you should be able to get able to get a CCW in California," Block said.

2. Hooch

Hooch New Member

Should have put "zombies" on their apps like everyone else, fools

3. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Motorola Q: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

Fucking cunt.

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Send a copy of the 2nd amendment.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I may be thinking of a different county but wasn't it still pretty hard for the average guy to get a ccw in orange county? I thought the old sheriff was corrupt and just handing them out to buddies.

CCW for all but no special privileges for friends either. Unless its turning true shall issue all the sheriff's friends should lose their permits. They can join me in working for shall issue ccw.

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

I wish I even had a CCW to get revoked. :wtc:

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It was not difficult to get a CCW in orange county. Before if you just stated you were a competition shooter and had to be able to protect your race guns and registered AW from getting on the streets it was a automatic green light for a CCW. I'm hearing that may not be good enough anymore.

8. david_4x4

david_4x4 New Member

Fuck a whole bunch of that state and everything it represents.

9. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

"Most of them are not coming back with the information we need," said Nighswonger. "A lot of them are arguing the second amendment (to the U.S. Constitution)," he said.

Excuse me Mr. Douche Canoe, but you don't get to determine whether or not the 2nd Amendment pertains to this. You're a Sheriff not a Supreme Court Justice.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

well what doesn't make the news article is that orange county is on the affluent side and primarily right wing conservative. There is going to be a fight and we'll see if the heller decision comes into play. The NRA has already mobilized. This is actually going to be a pretty good fight.

Many of these CCW holders are small buisness owners who "transport large sums on money to and from their place of buisness to their bank etc".

11. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I'm so glad you don't have to give a reason in Texas to get a CHL. "Self protection" should be the only thing required to get one in Orange County.

12. Finest

Finest OG #93

I don't think those guys are going to have any trouble arguing their "reasons" for the CCW.

It's the average joe "avid shooter" or competitive shooters that would have trouble with the stricter regulations now.

13. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

"All lawful purposes" ftw

14. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

my ex post facto, let me show you it

15. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Taking guns off the streets... one lawful citizen at a time.

16. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

this could actually play out somewhat interesting for the rest of us in california that aren't able to get ccw's

17. AVengeance

AVengeance Active Member

I figured a valid reason would be

"This is California, isn't it?"
    Or maybe
    "The Terminator has term limits, and can't protect us forever."

18. saxman

saxman Burninating the peasants

never said it would be a quick process, but it certainly is going to get a lot of the legal powers in ca evaluating the situation

19. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

You shouldn't need a "good reason" to exercise your rights.

20. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

lol @ failfornia

21. Jake!

Jake! Guest

I don't understand how people can live there.

22. clarus

clarus OT Supporter

Well, L.A. is looking less and less like an option for law school.

23. T0nyGTSt

T0nyGTSt New Member

if i was a felon and i paid the old sherrif $5,000 for a ccw i don't think i have a leg to stand on

that's corruption and i should have my ccw revoked

if i'm clean and i got caught in their net well then i'd fight like hell

by the same token she looks like a gun grabbing clinton-esqe cunt

24. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Considering The People's Republik of Kalifornia is now the foreclosure capital of the country, they're not really living there to begin with. :dunno: