MIL Shaving facial hair

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NPH, Apr 7, 2006.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

I need some advice.. I never had this problem in boot camp.. it only started once I got here to NC. Every morning I feel like I'm diving face first into a pit of barbed wire, that's the sensation I get when I shave. I get easily irritated as the week goes by.

Monday's are my best shaves, because I don't shave on the weekends. My facial hair is pretty thick and grows quick! Some people give me a hard time saying stuff like "Did you shave today?" Messing around with me, because once you know me for a day or two, you know that's just the way my facial hair is.

I get a 5 O'clock shadow by noon. The DI's in boot camp made me shave once at night before hitting the rack and I had to get up around 3 or 4am before everyone was up and shave again.

Anyways, I've tried everything from Mach3 Turbo, Schick Quattro, Fusion, different after shave lotions, electric shavers (worst shaves/most irritation ever, ended up getting a no-shave chit on that attempt).

What else can I try? I'm tired of avoiding other Marines on the weekend because I don't want to get my ass chewed out by some motivator and I'd like to just have non-irritating/burning shave all week long.

Suggestions? :sadwavey:

2. NPH

NPH Guest

Nope. You talking about a blade?

3. evan2

evan2 Guest

just shave at work if you can........make sure you warm your face before you shave
    or get one of them heaters to help heat the gel/cream

make sure you use a new blade every so often, always the best shaves

4. NPH

NPH Guest

I normally shave after a warm shower to open up the pores, etc.. shave thing.
    I use the same blade for a week and then I change it on Monday morning. Shit's expensive with the Fusion blades costing an arm & an leg.

I thought it was the water too.. since it only started happening when I moved to NC, but after going back home to FL for a week and shaving there as well, it was the same thing :dunno:

Do they have laser surgery to remove facial hair? I wonder how much it costs and if it's permanent.

5. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

Try shaving during the shower, works better for me than anything else.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2006
  6. Hisma

Hisma OT Supporter

no shave chit!

7. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

If you're using cream try shaving oil, if you want you can even rub the oil on and then put the cream on over that.

Let the oil sit on the skin for a bit and see how you go.

8. NPH

NPH Guest

I'll try the shower shave and the oil if that doesn't go well.
    My neck area is killing me today. :mad:

9. jung918

jung918 Member

Do you get razor bumps also?

10. not your average

not your average      ¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ OT Supporter

baby-face ftw :o

i have a little patch growing on the chin that people keep asking me about though :rofl:

11. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

get a shave waiver?

12. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

I have a sensitive face too, I use Bic Comfort3's and shave in the shower. Works great.

13. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

14. radhaz

radhaz New Member

15. Accord

Accord New Member

16. i_is_surf

i_is_surf New Member

Shaving waiver FTMFW!!!

I'm growing a beard. . .

17. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I have the same problem.
    It takes a while to make it bearable to shave in the mornings. Basically, you have to teach your hair to grow in a certain direction. Here's what I do (Your Mileage May Vary):

Use this stuff first:
    [​IMG]
    King of Shaves' Formulated Alpha Oil Supercooled Menthol.
    It lets the razor glide over the skin or else it gets the hose again... sorry couldn't help it.

Then grab a mug and throw this bad boy in it:
    [​IMG]
    Williams Mug Shaving Soap: use very hot water, wet your face after using the oil, and use this soap. It does not get as foamy as the stuff you are used to, but it also lets the razor slide over the skin very well.

Use a shaving brush, push on your face like a kindergartner trying to paint a picture and you will get more lather.
    [​IMG]

Use Gillette Sensor 3:
    [​IMG]
    The heads will fit the old Sensor Excel.

Then finish off with cork soaking your face in Nivea for Men Aftershave, pick your poison, they all look like this, with different names of course:
    [​IMG]

I also shave my cheeks, upper lip, and front chin DOWNWARD.
    My neck I shave UPWARD. Do this enough and eventually it will get easier. NEVER GO AGAINST THE HAIR, unless you are consistently shaving in that direction to train the hair to grow in that direction.
    ALSO: Make short strokes, don't go from the sideburns to the chin in one stroke. Try 1" - 1 1/2" strokes, NEVER going over the same spot twice.

Everything here can be found at my local Wal-Mart. I assume it can be found at yours. It seems like a lot of effort, but in the end, I hate feeling like my neck is on fire all day. If you make it a routine, it actually takes the same amount of time to shave as it did before using all of the stuff.