Shaving Advice

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by AndrewLD, Mar 3, 2009.

1. AndrewLD

AndrewLD New Member

I have pretty sensitive skin, and I finally figured out that the less blades there are, the least amount of irritation you will get. I threw out all of my old razors and got a single blade, and I love it. However, I am still getting red bumps on my face :( It's not nearly as bad as before, but they are still there :squint: I tried using an electric before, but that was very irritating.

I don't know what to do :sad2: I was thinking about getting laser hair removal, but I like having some scruff :hs:

Help me TSL :run:

2. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

try out different blades & pick up a sample pack.
    also, are you shaving against the grain at any point? I found that for a few months, shaving a against the grain would give me awful bumps on my cheeks and chin. if you get a close enough shave just shaving with the grain, then just keep doing that.
    if you're getting a good lather (this is important), and still having problems, keep trying out different blades. Lord and Astra blades were no good for me. I'd train myself in fencing just so nobody ever tried to get a Wilkinson Sword blade near me again. Feather and Derby both worked great for me though. just keep at it. have you seen any of the youtube vids in the ever-so-popular main forum shaving threads?

3. giz

giz Active Member

safety razor is definitely the way to go, trust me. try out a sample pack as dib suggested - not all blades are equal. for the first few weeks, simply shave with the grain, and maybe across. once you get used to using the razor, start going against. choosing the right soap and aftershave can be tricky as well.

keep with it, I think it'll get better for you.

4. AndrewLD

AndrewLD New Member

I don't shave against the grain, and I still get them :( Hrmm, I guess I will have to try out different blades. And I don't have an active sub :o So I never saw any of those videos. Link? :x:

5. giz

giz Active Member

6. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

tons of vids by this dude that'll help.

7. AndrewLD

AndrewLD New Member

Thanks guys :)

8. delay pedal

delay pedal Guest

[​IMG]

i wonder how much that guy is

9. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

That's pretty rad. I'd be a bit afraid to shave with it though.

10. try a better, thicker creme maybe.. for a while i was using some crappy stuff and i had some issues, but than switched to Gillette shaving creme and it worked wonders for me.

11. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Fucking hell man.

I needed to buy a new razor when I lived in Milan, so I just grabbed one of these at the checkout thinking it was a Schick Quattro - WS wackaging (woah meant to type packaging but I'll leave the typo) is EXACTLY like quattro graphics w/ a different name.

I pretty much tore half my face off with that bullshit. Even the super-over-used 3 week old mach 3 finished the other side of my face smoother. Fuck.

12. The Grid

The Grid OT Supporter

try the gilette fusion with their shaving cream. Make sure the cream has aloe in it. You may also want to try putting on a light toner (I use witch hazel a lot) then using a light moisturizer once that dries

13. RichieHemingway

RichieHemingway New Member

I hate shaving.

Now that I can actually grow facial daily I fucking despise it.

14. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

Damn, that video on youtube was really useful.

I'm gonna pick up a badgerhair brush and some oldschool cream when I get a chance - the techniques in that youtube video were bomb.

I usually semi-use them, but tried to concentrate this time. I held a hot wet towel onto my face for a few minutes, then made sure to lather around the shaving cream and massage my face for a few minutes (i usually just spread it on real quick) and shaved perpendicular to the grain before I went in against it. Despite using a CRUSTY old old mach-3 head, I hardly had razor bumps! WTFmate

15. dibalicious

dibalicious sexy crew

^ I find taking a shower beforehand works better than anything

16. oakback

oakback New Member

I was gonna same the same thing, long hot shower will make the whiskers much easier to cut.

I've tried shaving without taking a shower first, even with wetting my face with hot water, and it's just nowhere near as effective as taking a long hot shower first.

I thought everyone knew this. Told a friend about it, he didn't believe me, until he tried it. He was amazed at how much of a difference it made.

17. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

braun pulsonic

studies show women like stubbled men over clean-shaven men.

18. Phlab

Phlab OT Supporter

I used to always do the long hawt shower.

Honestly I think the biggest difference is lathering and rubbing the shaving cream in for a solid two minutes. Splash a little water on it to rehydrate it towards the end. I used the crustiest blade and had no shave bumps. I was shawked n odd

19. lim f(x) = f(a)

lim f(x) = f(a) New Member

go in Sauna

sit for 15 mins

apply shave cream

?????

fucking profit

:bowdown:

20. mantic59

mantic59 OT Supporter

This.

In a lot of ways a proper lather is more important than how many blades are in the razor. If you don't want to deal with the learning curve for a single-blade safety razor, fine, use a pivot razor--just use one with as few blades as necessary. But decent face prep and a properly hydrated lather will take you several parsecs farther than goo squirting out of a pressurized can.

Yeah, I'm on offtopic once in a while. :wavey:

21. epitaphex

epitaphex New Member

:bowdown: come more often mantic

22. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

$170 for the smaller version or $210 for the larger, plus $5 if you want the rubber handle. You can order them here.

I've bought from Telly before, he's a stand up guy...he sells exactly what he describes and ships fast.

Japanese razors take a wicked, wicked sharp edge. They differ from western razors in that they're asymmetrically ground and have a bevel on only one side. They're meant to be used only on that side, which makes them rather awkward to use on yourself (they were designed to be used by a barber on a customer).

I've got a couple and I hardly ever use them. Its been months. They're fun to use every once in a while when you've got the time, but not well suited to daily use.

23. Skirecs

Skirecs New Member

get some tabac and a brush

for me at least, id rather use my tabac lather and a mach3 than canned gel and my DE

24. Mcgovlau

Mcgovlau Лоз Боз

dont shave its sexier

25. Gomer

Gomer New Member

I hope to god you don't follow that advice yourself... :hsugh: