Sharp pain in shins when walking?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kdv, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdv

kdv New Member

Hey all,

I've been trying to get some exercise lately, due to not having a physical job anymore and putting on quite a bit of weight.

I try and walk about 3 miles/day, all in one shot. But I've been getting these sharp shooting pains in my shins, and don't know what's causing it.

Any ideas?

2. ralyks

ralyks New Member

I used to get this when I ran in the summer and during football, I never actually found out what caused it but it could be just stressed. This may be especially true if you just started exercising recently. Rest/Ice/Compression/Elevation, take some time off or do less if you're just starting, and look into glutamine (it helped me alot).

3. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

shin splints

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

tibial stress syndrome - or shin splints. Get a shoe with better arch support, and start working out your tibia (reverse calve raises are the only ones I know of)

5. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

tape your shins up for the mean time when you run/walk - it's the tibialis anterior seperating from the tibia

and try the elliptical

6. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

sit on the couch and crinkle newspaper between your toes everyday for as long as you can stand it. They will be good in no time, you can also pick marbles up with your toes and things like that. Sounds stupid but trust me

7. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

kdv, is the pain on the outside part of your shin bone all up and down your leg, or on the inside focused in one spot? If it's on the outer edge, that would just be some sore tendons and ligaments that have not been used for a long time. That pain should go away as you work out more. If the pain is sharp and focused in a small area, then that would be shin splints or a stress fracture. Best way to treat those is rest (lots, in the case of a stress fracture), and to have good running/walking shoes. Stretch your calves out a lot.

8. kdv

kdv New Member

Maybe I'll just try walking slower. It hasn't hurt me for a while, as I had just bought some new running shoes.

Definately sounds like shin splints, after what you guys have described and doing a bit of googling. What I'm going to do is stretch the shit out of that area before walking though, hopefully that helps.

I'll take it easy, but I have to keep doing some work to get physical again. Sitting on my ass all day sucks, and is affecting my stamina, strength, etc. Today I just finished scraping all the ice off the driveway, that was a good 2 hour workout - and it was easy on the shins.

Thanks guys/gals.

9. SteveO

SteveO Guest

I got a foot cramp from doing that last night.. do u know how bad those hurt?

10. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Keep in mind that because shin splints are a bone injury, the purpose of stretching certain muscles is to make sure that the muscles are as flexible as possible so as not to put too much stress on the shins. In other words, you can't stretch a shin splint.

11. Nightmist

Nightmist Power Metal Crew >* \m/ \m/

I thought I had shin splints when this was happening to me but after walking a lot for about a month it started to go away. It takes time but its probably due to inactivity. My guess is it will get better once you use those muscles more.

12. maybe not eating before walking or maybe not stretching and working out the legs...

13. might be a thaught

14. if you get cramps its probaly for because its not enough water

15. Pork Chop Sandwiches

...and not enough potassium/electrolytes.

16. kdv

kdv New Member

Nope, I drink alot of water - about 2L/day, and then all sorts of other liquids (milk, juice w/vodka, 3 cups coffee, etc), and eat very well (including salty foods) - which is how I got fat.

So stretching won't help? Is it really a bone injury, or a muscle pulling away from the bone injury? It usually takes about a mile before it starts getting sore, but then I gotta walk all the way back home with sore shins. That probably agravates the problem.

I'll try waiting an hour or two after supper before taking off for my walk tonight - and will take it very slow (2mph?), it's not like I don't have time or anything.

17. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Stretching your leg muscles will help, because that will improve your flexibility and help your walking form, which will reduce the stress placed on your shins. Shin splints are the result of your shin bone and the surrounding tissues (not necessarily muscle) absorbing too much impact. If the pain is general, then they should work themselves out shortly. If it's more focused, then you may want to rest more.

18. Damn it Bobby

Damn it Bobby .

make sure you have the walking technique down (heel toe) and get your feet checked out, you might need orthotics

19. SteveO

SteveO Guest

maybe I've been doing something wrong all this time, but since football I've always ran on my toes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.