sharing violation with excel

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Apr 24, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have researched this across google for several hours and coming to a dead end. These excel files some of them you can open and re-save and some you cannot. They have the same permissions (security permissions) on the file and folders. If you create a new excel file and save it, it will save. If you reopen it then make any new changes it will come back with a sharing violation error. If you open an existing excel and make changes you get the same error.

Things I have tried so far.

1) Scanned the system for any malware, spyware, viruses: Clean
    2) Turned off mcafee from the workstation and server
    3) Shared folders and open files can be viewed from the computer management mmc snap in and this file is not being viewed or opened by another user.
    4) Gave the user full administrative access to the directory tree and folder
    5) Turned off Indexing
    6) Updated the workstation with all the latest windows patches, updates and SP3
    7) Disabled all uneccessary start up items and services
    8) Logged in as the administrator and got the same error so its not a DACL issue
    9) detect and repair

This problem is cropping up on other computers to. I haven't tried reinstalling office not sure thats going to help but anyone else ever had this problem or know a fix

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

What if you save it to a completely different directory?

3. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Make your your profile has sufficient priveledges to the directory.

4. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

You can but once you reopen it again you get the same error.

Has full access to the directory. Even created a temporary directory with said username, created a new excel file put some data in it then saved it. Reopened it, added more data error comes up. Tried this with an existing one, saved it to another directory and it works but complains when you reopen it again.

Its almost as if the temp document is being saved somewhere on the server that a user has no access to but for it to crop up all of a sudden makes it even that much more odd to troubleshoot since nothing has changed that I'm aware of. You can save and re-save these docs on the local computer just not on the network drive and not all excel docs do this only certain ones. And if I remove all said users from the doc that it previously had and add say "everyone" with full access it still complains :madfawk:

5. are the files on a server? what is the exact error message? we recently started having the same issue here, but there is apparently no fix other than to just save the file as a new one with a diff name. excel 2007 right?

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

2003. Yes their on a server. I forgot the exact error just says the doc cannot be saved due to a sharing violation so a temporary one has been created. You can save this temp or loose changes.

7. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

this must be a tough one

8. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I've seen similar issues with Access on our servers, we use Novell though. We turned off file locking and turned on file commit, that seems to have solved it. This crops up on just the new leases, the old ones we're pulling out don't have that issue .. doubt this will help but might point you in the right direction. :big grin: