Sharing printer between Win98 and WinXP

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by WERUreo, Apr 16, 2004.

1. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I know, I know, why would anyone want to share anything between Windows 98 (first edition, no less) and Windows XP Home? Well, my girlfriend's parents have a Win98 machine connected to a Canon Multipass printer/fax/copier. They recently got a laptop with WinXP Home on it. The laptop has wireless, so they bought a wireless router along with it to network the two computers. But, they could never figure out how to share files and the printer and all that, so they asked for my help.

I was able to successfully set up shares on both computers. I was also able to share the printer. The problem is, I'm not able to print from the laptop. Every time I try to print a test page, I get an error message that says "Test page failed to print."

Some pertinent information: the Win98 machine is running Norton Internet Security, which was the reason they could not share files before. Fixed that for file sharing. File and printer sharing and Client for Microsoft Windows are both installed and enabled on the Win98 machine. The laptop sees the printer over the network. I was able to print from the laptop using "net use lpt2 \\server\printer".

Anyone have any ideas? Let me know if you need more info. Thanks in advance. I won't be going up to their house in a while, so I've got some time to try to research this.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

For what it's worth, I'd just go out and buy a print server and be done with it... I've done this before and it was a real pain in the ass to get to work. I just kept playing with the settings and I was eventually able to get it to work.

Also,

Can either computer see the other in Network Neighborhood? Are they both setup to be in the same workgroup? I'm not sure how this applies to Windows 98, but setup a common user/password between the two machines. Is DHCP on the router turned on? Are they both getting IP address in the same range? Can both machines ping each other? Can both ping the router?

HTH>

CM.

3. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

I'm beginning to think that a print server is not a bad idea. To answer your questions, each computer is able to see the other in Network Neighborhood. They are both in the same workgroup. DHCP on the router is on and they are both getting IP addresses in the same range. I didn't try pinging either machines or the router. Right now, it's hard for me to work on either computer, because they are both in North Carolina and I'm in Florida. Before I left, I set up VNC servers on each one, but I haven't been able to log into either one since I've been back. I may need to make sure the VNC servers are still running by calling them and having them check.

As for the user/password thing, I'm probably 90% sure that is why it isn't working. While I was there, I ran ethereal on the laptop and started a capture while trying to print from the laptop. I showed the capture to a friend who told me it had something to do with user/password. I may need to research that aspect of it more.

I'd like to try and figure this out without resorting to a print server. Reason being, this printer has some weird server program that is run from the desktop. I guess it's because it is a fax also. I don't know how it works exactly. All I know is that if that server program wasn't running on the desktop, I couldn't even print from the desktop.

Thanks for the insight!