Sharing cable through phone modem?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by parthos, Dec 9, 2006.

1. parthos

parthos Mr Topic Killer

I was wondering if I could somehow share my cable broadband from my home computer through a phone modem. Over at the shop, I often need to run home to look up specs, tech etc... Using bluetooth, I can use my cell phone to act as a modem for my laptop, and call out from the shop. So I could call my home pc, question is, is how would I share my internet connection through the phone modem? Yeah it's kinda running in circles, but no phone lines or cable or wideband at the shop.

2. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

What the fuck? Buy a $50 router.

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

no gym for home?

4. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

See if there is a way to connect to the internet directly via the cell phone. Cell phone carriers used to allow low-speed connections that only used up minutes and didn't incur an extra internet access charge. Not sure if they still allow that.

5. parthos

parthos Mr Topic Killer

can't buy a router when I'm 20 miles away working on peoples cars, or at my shop. Hmm, I thought maybe I could use my home pc like a server, and leach off of it via calling it through the phone.

6. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Your always going to be limited by the bluetooth link from the laptop to your cell phone. You could have a RAS server running at home with a 10Mbit cable connection, but the best you'd see at the laptop is bluetooth's top speed of something like 700kbit.

If its a business expense, get an aircard for your laptop. I have Verizon's and it works great. I could leave it up all day and it wouldn't tie up my cell phone.

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Buy a Cingular or Sprint WiMax card and use that.